Marvin E. Newman
|Marvin E. Newman|
December 5, 1927|
The Bronx, New York), U.S.
Life and career
Newman has authored or coauthored eight (8) books on the subject of photography. Newman received a Gold Medal for Editorial Photography from the New York Art Directors Club and the Lucie Award for his sports photography in 2009. He was at one time the national president of the American Society of Magazine Photographers.
Newman currently lives and works in New York City.
- 2010 "Beyond COLOR." Participant, group show. Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2010 "Discoveries." Participant, group show. Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2010 "Passing the Torch:: The Chicago Students of Callahan and Siskin." Participant, vintage photography show. Stephen Daiter Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- 2009 Lucie Award for Achievement in Sports Photography. "Marvin E. Newman and Yasuhiro Ishimoto" Stephen Daiter Gallery, Chicago, IL.
- 2008 "Marvin E. Newman: The Color Series." Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2006 "Marvin E. Newman: The First Decade." Bruce Silverstein Gallery, New York, NY.
- 2000 One man show, "Marvin E. Newman, Seven Photo Essays" Keith de Lellis Gallery, New York.
- 2000 "American Photographs 1900/2000" Assouline Publishers; two published photographs
- 1999 "Newman and Ishimoto, Reunion in Chicago: Photographs from 1949-1952". Two man show at Stephen Daiter Gallery, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1998 "New acquisitions Exhibition". Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York.
- 1997 One man show, "Shadows 1951". B/W photography. Keith de Lellis Gallery, New York.
- 1996 "Chicago Photography 1935-1965". Major contributor. James Danziger Gallery, New York.
- 1995 "Institute of Design". Contributor, photography show. Museum of Contemporary Photography, Chicago, Illinois.
- 1995 "New York Stories". Major contributor, photography show. James Danziger Gallery, New York.
- 1994 "Hallmark Collection". Book and Exhibition.The Art Institute of Chicago. I C P Midtown, New York.
- 1992 "Paris, France". One year residence, color photography for The Image Bank, subsidiary of Eastman Kodak
- 1989 "Life through the Sixties". Participant, photo exhibit. International Center of Photography, New York.
- 1988 "The Image Bank". Worldwide Picture agency. Contract photographer.
- 1987 "Christie's Inc.", Fine Art Auctioneers. National advertising photography.
- 1986 "Statue of Liberty,100 Years". Time Magazine, photographic color supplement.
- 1985 "42nd Street at Night". Popular Photography, June issue. Photographic color portfolio.
- 1984 "New York at Night". Stewart Tabori and Chang publishers. Full color portfolio of Times Square in the 1950s.
- 1983 "American Society of Magazine Photographers", President. Led cultural delegation to China as a guest of the Chinese government.
- 1982 "Manhattan". Participant, color photographic show. The Museum of the City of New York.
- 1982 "J.P. Morgan Bank". 1982-1987. National advertising photography.
- 1981 "Breaking Ground, Open Spaces Temporary and Accidental". Photographs by Marvin E. Newman, text by Brendan Gill. One man show. Municipal Art Society of New York.
- The Museum Of Modern Art, New York
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
- The Art Institute of Chicago
- The National Gallery, Washington, DC
- Eastman House Museum, Rochester
- International Center of Photography, New York
- The Hallmark Collection, Kansas City
- The Whitney Museum, New York
- The Houston Museum, Texas
- The Columbus Museum, Ohio
- The Jewish Museum, New York
- Marvin E. Newman bio at The Jewish Museum
- Edward Leffingwell, "Marvin E. Newman at Silverstein Photography", Art in America, May, 2006.
- "06.26.67". CNN. Archived from the original on 2008-05-23. Retrieved 2010-05-12.
- https://www.loc.gov/rr/print/res/126_new.html | Copyright, Marvin E. Newman, LOOK Magazine Collection, Library of Congress, Prints & Photographs Division, [Reproduction number e.g., LC-USZ62-123456]
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on April 26, 2011. Retrieved August 4, 2010.