Maryland Route 259
Maryland Route 259 highlighted in red
|Maintained by MDSHA|
|Length:||2.67 mi (4.30 km)|
|Existed:||1928 – present|
|South end:||MD 794 in Bristol|
|North end:||MD 408 near Lothian|
Maryland Route 259 (MD 259) is a state highway in the U.S. state of Maryland. Known as Greenock Road, the highway runs 2.67 miles (4.30 km) from MD 794 in Bristol north to MD 408 near Lothian. MD 259 was constructed in the late 1920s and early 1930s.
MD 259 begins at an acute intersection with MD 794 (Southern Maryland Boulevard) in Bristol. MD 794 leads to MD 258 (Bay Front Road) and MD 4. MD 259 heads northeast as a two-lane road that passes the historic James Owens Farm. The highway reaches its northern terminus at an intersection with MD 408 (Mount Zion-Marlboro Road) at the hamlet of Greenock southwest of Lothian.
MD 259 was constructed as a gravel road from MD 4 (now MD 408) at Greenock southwest to north of the James Owens Farm in 1928. The highway was completed southwest to MD 416 (now MD 794) in Bristol in 1933 and 1934. MD 259 was paved in 1949.
The entire route is in Anne Arundel County.
|Bristol||0.00||0.00||MD 794 (Southern Maryland Boulevard) to MD 4 / MD 258 – Upper Marlboro, Prince Frederick||Southern terminus|
|Lothian||2.67||4.30||MD 408 (Mount Zion–Marlboro Road) – Lothian, Upper Marlboro||Northern terminus|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi
- Highway Information Services Division (December 31, 2013). Highway Location Reference. Maryland State Highway Administration. Retrieved 2012-11-24.
- Anne Arundel County (PDF)
- Google (2013-01-07). "Maryland Route 259" (Map). Google Maps. Google. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1938). Map of Maryland Showing State Road System (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Byron, William D.; Lacy, Robert (December 28, 1934). Report of the State Roads Commission of Maryland (1931–1934 ed.). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission. p. 319. Retrieved 2013-01-07.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1934). Map of Maryland Showing State Road System (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
- Maryland State Roads Commission (1949). Maryland: Official Highway Map (Map). Baltimore: Maryland State Roads Commission.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Maryland Route 259.|