Massage for Relaxation
This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from related articles; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (April 2014)
Massage For Relaxation is a 1985 instructional video and was among the first on how to massage another person. The video was produced by Mark Schulze and Patricia Mooney of New & Unique Videos, of San Diego, California.
Patricia Mooney graduated from the Mueller College of Massage in San Diego as a massage technician in 1981, and subsequently authored several articles in national publications. In 1987 she added additional footage of Self Massage instruction to the 1985 prequel. The film was videotaped and live-switched in a Public-access television studio with three video cameras, and distributed worldwide on VHS, Beta and PAL videotape formats.
The instructional film shows Cleo (aka Patty Mooney) performing a massage on Maria (aka Maya Campos) using Swedish Oil techniques. Also included are instructions for a Glowing Salt Rub.
New & Unique Videos was founded in 1985. That same year, the 45-minute instructional video Massage for Relaxation was listed in a special interest video Christmas catalog at London's Heathrow Airport bookstore." Other special interest video distributors carried the title in their catalogs, including Wood Knapp, BFS Limited in Canada, Instructional Video, Inc., The Learning Annex, and Publishers Clearing House.
In 2011, New & Unique Videos reissued Massage For Relaxation in DVD format, and made it available for on-demand downloading at video kiosks at Microsoft and Sony Style stores in Europe and the United States.
Awards and nominations
In 1985, the film won an International Television Association (ITVA) Video Medallion Award.
In July 1995, P.J. Birosik of Nexus Magazine noted the 1985 ITVA award and commented that the video had a "soothing score" making it "easy to relax while learning how to massage oneself or another." He noted also that through closeup shots the demonstrations were clear and the proffered techniques of massage and salt rub were easy to learn.
In September 1988, Billboard Magazine wrote that while "Everyone enjoys a good massage", "the difficult part is getting someone to give you one," noting "Briskly paced and modestly priced, this program just may make a dent in the sell-through market."
Vegetarian Times wrote that after a hard workout, a massage is always welcome, and noted the instruction available through the film.
Total Health Magazine found the video to be unique in that it "is both instructional for someone learning to be a masseur and instructor Cleo demonstrates how to give yourself a massage. Techniques are plainly shown how to relieve tension in neck, shoulders, back, hips, chest, abdomen, legs, arms, feet, face and head".
Health Foods Business wrote in 1988 that while the benefits of massage might be obtainable "from the hands of a trained and certified pro," decent massage can be done by amateurs who use some of the available "books and video cassettes which, while not a substitute for a massage therapy course, can help the nonprofessional acquire some skills for home use." They noted that Massage For Relaxation, put together in 1985 by trained masseuse and frequently published author Patricia Mooney, is one such video and that it contained "a 15-minute section on self-massage."
The Video Rating Guide for Libraries wrote that while the video's cover jacket was "attractive and provocative", it was an otherwise "highly professional, nonpornographic treatment of whole body massage," noting that the camera angles and detail work presented an "excellent focus on various techniques of massage", and that the benefits of whole body massage were featured with "emphasis placed on relieving pain and enhancing digestion." They made special note of the video including detailed explanation of self-massage techniques, and that the instructor's demonstrations of a wide variety of techniques would be "especially useful for novices".
- ^ John Feltman (1991). Hands-On Healing: Massage Remedies for Hundreds of Health Problems. Rodale Press, Incorporated. pp. 400, 401. ISBN 0-87857-966-4.
- ^ Certificate of Copyright Registration, United States Copyright Office, Registration Number PA 257 263, June 17, 1985
- ^ Library of Congress (1979). "Catalog of copyright entries, Volume 22, Part 12, Issue 2 – Part 13, Issue 2". Library of Congress. p. 3321. Retrieved March 14, 2011.
- ^ a b "Couple's Videos are New & Unique," by Manny Cruz, San Diego Daily Transcript, December 10, 1992
- ^ "Self Massage: How to Rub Pain and Stress Away," by Patricia Kathryn Mooney, Beauty Digest, May 1984, p.10
- ^ R.R. Bowker (1995). Bowker's complete video directory. R R Bowker Publishing. p. 1035. ISBN 0-8352-3588-2.
- ^ "Massage For Relaxation". Bicycle Business Journal: 57. March 1989.
- ^ "The Unique Art of Massage," by Pat Mooney, Bestways, November 1983, p.40
- ^ Robert J. Hawkins (February 14, 1993). "Worldwide project of several passions". San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- ^ Wood Knapp's Special Interest Video Catalog, Fall 1992
- ^ Wood Knapp's Special Interest Video Catalog, Holiday 1992, p.27
- ^ Videos & Reviews Reference & Special Interest Video Catalog 1993–94, p.190
- ^ The Learning Annex, Summer 1989
- ^ John Feltman (1995). Prevention Magazine's Hands-On Healing: Message Remedies for Hundreds of Health Problems. Random House. pp. 400. ISBN 0-517-12244-8.
- ^ "Corporate Broadcast Video Production Awards". ITVA. Crystal Pyramid Productions. Archived from the original on July 8, 2011. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- ^ PJ Birosik (July–August 1995). "Books & Music". Nexus (Colorado's Holistic Journal). p. 40.
- ^ ""Massage For Relaxation," New And Unique Videos, 45 minutes, $29.95". Billboard Magazine Volume 100, No. 38. September 17, 1988.
- ^ "More than $100". Vegetarian Times. November 1988. p. 79.
- ^ "Book and Tape Reviews". Total Health Magazine. October 1987. p. 53.
- ^ "Massage Giving America A Helping Hand," by Paul Bubny, Health Foods Business, September 1988, p.53
- ^ "Video rating guide for libraries, Volume 1, Issues 1–2". ABC-CLIO. 1990. p. 84.
- Massage for Relaxation at Allmovie
- Massage for Relaxation at New & Unique Videos website
- Massage for Relaxation at Vimeo