Matt Lepay, also known as The Voice of the Badgers, is an American sportscaster. Since 1988, Lepay has been the radio voice for the Wisconsin Badgers men's basketball team, and since 1994, the voice of the Wisconsin Badgers football team.
Lepay came to Madison, Wisconsin in 1988 and began calling games for the Wisconsin Badgers men's basketball team that same year. In 1994, following a brief period as sports director for WTSO Radio in Madison, he began working for WIBA handling Wisconsin Badgers football broadcasts as well. Lepay is currently employed by the university through their rights deal with the national college sports broadcasting outfit Learfield Sports.
In January 2014, it was announced that Lepay would handling play-by-play for the Milwaukee Brewers television broadcasts on Fox Sports Wisconsin, as a substitute for Brian Anderson for approximately 35 games when Anderson handles national assignments for Turner Sports, including NBA playoff coverage and baseball coverage for TBS. Lepay reprised his role as fill-in during the 2015, 2016 and 2017 seasons.
Awards and honors
Lepay is a seven-time winner of the Wisconsin Sportscaster of the Year Award.
in May 2012, Lepay was inducted into The Madison Hall of Fame Club.
- "Lucas and Lepay". The Big 1070. Retrieved April 21, 2014.
- "A conversation with UW announcer Matt Lepay". OnMilwaukee. August 22, 2006.
- "Matt Lepay joins Milwaukee Brewers broadcast team on Fox Sports Wisconsin". SB Nation. January 26, 2014.
- "Local Voices Aren’t So Eager to Go National". The New York Times. March 28, 2014.
- "Wisconsin Sports Featured in New TV and Radio Show Format". University of Wisconsin Madison. Retrieved April 22, 2014.
- "Matt Lepay to join Brewers broadcast team". Fox Sports. January 26, 2014.
- "Brewers: 'Voice of the Badgers' Matt Lepay will be the fill-in voice on Fox Sports-Wisconsin this summer". Wisconsin State Journal. January 27, 2014.
- "Brian Anderson's return set for Brewers telecasts on Fox Sports Wisconsin - Milwaukee - Milwaukee Business Journal". Retrieved July 17, 2016.
- "Brewers tap Lepay to fill in on telecasts". MLB.com. January 26, 2014.
- "Lepay and Martin honored by Madison Sports Hall of Fame Club". University of Wisconsin Madison. May 22, 2013.
- "Matt Lepay to join Brewers broadcast team". Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. January 26, 2014.