Maurice Blackburn (law firm)
|No. of offices||28|
|No. of employees||1,000+|
|Key people||Steve Walsh (Chairman)
Jacob Varghese (CEO)
|Founder||Maurice McCrae Blackburn|
|Company type||Limited liability partnership|
|Slogan||"We Fight For Fair"|
Maurice Blackburn Lawyers, (formerly Maurice Blackburn & Co and Maurice Blackburn Cashman), was founded in 1919 by Maurice Blackburn. The firm is an Australian plaintiff law firm, having represented clients in a number of high-profile cases since its establishment.
Since its establishment Maurice Blackburn Lawyers have acted in a number of cases, including:
- The 40-Hour Working Week Case - in conjunction with the Australian Council of Trade Unions (ACTU) Maurice Blackburn fought for shorter working hours;
- MUA Waterfront Dispute Case - represented maritime workers against the Commonwealth Government during the waterfront dispute in 1998;
- The GIO Class Action - the first shareholder class action win in Australian legal history;
- Centro Class Action - the biggest class action settlement in legal history;
- Mohammed Haneef Case - defended Dr. Haneef against false charges of terrorism in 2010 and later acted on his behalf in a defamation matter;
- The Gene Patent BRCA1 Case - a ruling that saw the High Court rule that a mutated gene that causes cancer cannot be subject to a patent under Australian law;
- Maurice McRae Blackburn, Firm Founder, Former Labor MP and Former Independent Labor MP
- Bill Shorten, Opposition Leader and Federal Labor MP
- Nicola Roxon, Former Commonwealth Attorney-General and Federal Labor MP
- Terri Butler, Federal Labor MP
- Peter Cashman, Barrister and Academic at the University of Sydney
- Eugene Arocca
- Murray Watt, Australian Labor Senator and Former Queensland Labor MP
- Justice Bernard Murphy, Justice of the Federal Court of Australia
- John Button, Former Labor Senator for Victoria
- John Cain Jnr, Former Victorian Government Solicitor
- MauriceBlackburn.com.au. "Law Firm - Compensation & Injury - Maurice Blackburn".
- MauriceBlackburn.com.au. "About Maurice Blackburn Lawyers".
- "Court approves Centro's $200m class-action settlement". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Mohammed Haneef sues ex-immigration minister Kevin Andrews for defamation". NewsComAu. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- "Landmark High Court ruling on BRCA1 gene patent as pensioner wins legal case". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2016-02-01.
- http://www.fedcourt.gov.au/publications/judges-speeches/justice-murphy/Murphy-J-20120614.rtf. Missing or empty
- "Former Labor minister John Button dies". The Age. 8 April 2008. Retrieved 25 March 2016.
- "Former rival is new Herbert Geer MP". Lawyers Weekly. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2016.