As a child, Cyrin studied classical piano at a conservatory. In his teenage years, he was exposed to new-wave and techno, greatly influencing his first recordings, also made during these years. He subsequently made recordings with independent electro labels. A few years later, he recorded an LP of piano compositions titled Instants on independent record label Sine Terra Firma, which has also released Yann Tiersen's debut album.
From pop to classical music
In 2005, he released his first album Modern Rhapsodies on FCom, the label founded by DJ Laurent Garnier, in which he arranged for solo piano tracks from Massive Attack, Depeche Mode, Moby, and Aphex Twin. He also composed scores for silent movies, such as Jean Epstein's 1923 film Cœur fidèle.
Novö Piano, Cyrin's second album, was released in 2009 through Kwaidan Records and produced by Marc Collin of Nouvelle Vague. It contains cover songs of Pixies, Nirvana, Daft Punk, and MGMT, among others. As of 2014[update], the music video for Cyrin's cover of Pixies' "Where Is My Mind?" has been viewed over five million times on Youtube - his version of the song was used in the TV shows The Leftovers and Mr. Robot in addition to the TV spot for the video game Uncharted 4: A Thief's End. It also features in the 2015 film Man Up.
In 2014, he signed with the new classical record label Evidence Classics, founded by sound engineer Nicolas Bartholomée (Aparté). In 2015, he released the album Nocturnes, a collection of ten compositions for solo piano.
Cyrin's album Novö Piano 2 was released on November 13, 2015, and is another collection of solo piano covers.
Fashion industry involvement
He is regularly involved in world of fashion, composing and playing music for fashion shows including Chanel, Lanvin, Valentino, Margiela, and Hermès, and has participated in projects in the contemporary art world.
- Powertrance (1992), Paradise Movement
- Instants (1995) Sine Terra Firma
- Modern Rhapsodies (2005) F Communications
- Novö Piano (2010) Kwaidan Records
- The Fantasist (2012) Ekler'o'shock
- Nocturnes (Solo Piano) (2014) Evidence/Little Tribeca
- Novö Piano 2 (2015) Evidence/Little Tribeca
- "Les atristestes: Maxence Cyrin" (in French). France Télévisions Interactiv. 2010. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- Ceh, Yan. "Novö Pianiste". BLAST (in French).
- "Maxence Cyrin". Ekleroshock. Retrieved 11 Mar 2013.
- "Maxence Cyrin – The Fantasist". Discogs. Retrieved 11 Mar 2013.
- Zorgniotti, Denis (March 12, 2012). "Maxence Cyrin – The Fantaisist". Benzine Magazine (in French).