Maximilian, Margrave of Baden
|Margrave of Baden|
|Head of the House of Baden|
|Tenure||Since 27 October 1963|
|Predecessor||Berthold, Margrave of Baden|
3 July 1933 |
|Spouse||Archduchess Valerie of Austria (m. 1966)|
|Issue||Princess Marie Louise of Baden
Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden
Prince Leopold of Baden
Prince Michael of Baden
|House||House of Zähringen|
|Father||Berthold, Margrave of Baden|
|Mother||Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark|
|Grand Ducal Family
HGDH Prince Ludwig
Maximilian, Margrave of Baden (Maximilian Andreas Friedrich Gustav Ernst August Bernhard, born 3 July 1933 at Salem Castle, Salem, Germany), is the elder son of Berthold, Margrave of Baden and Princess Theodora of Greece and Denmark. Through his mother, he is the nephew of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh and is first cousin to Charles, Prince of Wales. He is the head of the Grand-Ducal House of Baden and the representative of the descent of the Kings of Sweden of the House of Holstein-Gottorp.
Marriage and children
He married Archduchess Valerie of Austria, daughter of Archduke Hubert Salvator of Austria and Princess Rosemary of Salm-Salm, civilly on 23 September 1966 in Salem, and religiously on 30 September 1966 in Persenbeug Castle, Austria.
Their marriage produced four children:
- Princess Marie Louise Elisabeth Mathilde Theodora Cecilie Sarah Charlotte of Baden (3 July 1969), married civilly in Salem on 15 September 1999 and religiously on 25 September to Zentatsu Richard Baker (b. 30 March 1936 at Biddeford, York County, Maine).
- Bernhard Max Friedrich August Gustav Louis Kraft, Hereditary Prince of Baden (27 May 1970) he married Stephanie Kaul on 22 June 2001. They have three sons.
- Prince Leopold Max Christian Ludwig Clemens Hubert of Baden (1 October 1971).
- Prince Michael Max Andreas of Baden (11 March 1976), married in Salem on 4 July 2015 to Christina Höhne.
Because he married a Roman Catholic, according to the Act of Settlement of 1701, Maximilian would be removed from the line of succession to the British throne, until implementation in 2015 of the Succession to the Crown Act 2013, which restored any succession rights to British dynasts forfeited because of marriage to Roman Catholics.
- Berthold II, Duke of Carinthia, d. 1078
- Herman I, Margrave of Baden, 1040–1074
- Herman II, Margrave of Baden, 1074–1130
- Herman III, Margrave of Baden, d. 1160
- Herman IV, Margrave of Baden, 1135–1190
- Herman V, Margrave of Baden-Baden, d. 1243
- Rudolf I, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1230–1288
- Herman VII, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1266–1291
- Rudolf IV, Margrave of Baden-Pforzheim, d. 1348
- Frederick III, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1327–1353
- Rudolf VI, Margrave of Baden-Baden, d. 1372
- Bernard I, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1364–1431
- Jacob, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1407–1453
- Charles I, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1427–1475
- Christopher I, Margrave of Baden-Baden, 1453–1527
- Ernest I, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1482–1553
- Charles II, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1529–1577
- George Frederick, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1573–1638
- Frederick V, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1594–1659
- Frederick VI, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1617–1677
- Frederick VII Magnus, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1647–1709
- Charles III William, Margrave of Baden-Durlach, 1679–1738
- Hereditary Prince Frederick of Baden-Durlach, 1703–1732
- Charles Frederick, Grand Duke of Baden, 1728–1811
- Leopold, Grand Duke of Baden, 1790–1852
- Prince Wilhelm of Baden, 1829–1897
- Prince Maximilian of Baden, 1867–1929
- Berthold, Margrave of Baden, 1906–1963
- Maximilian, Margrave of Baden, b. 1933
- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, July 11, 1995
- Vogel, Carol (October 25, 1995). "A Princely House Sale in Baden-Baden". The New York Times.
- Montgomery-Massingberd, Hugh (1973). Burke's Guide to the Royal Family. London: Burke's Peerage Limited. pp. 230, 290–291. ISBN 0-220-66222-3.
- "Heads of the Post-Napoleonic German Ruling Families & their Wives and Heirs Apparent". Theodore's Royalty & Monarchy Site.
Maximilian, Margrave of BadenBorn: 3 July 1933
|Titles in pretence|
Prince Berthold, Margrave of Baden
|— TITULAR —
Grand Duke of Baden
27 October 1963 – present
Reason for succession failure:
Grand Duchy abolished in 1918
Bernhard, Hereditary Prince of Baden