This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Industry||Augmented Reality, Marketing and Advertising, R&D, IT consulting, Software, Mobile|
Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Headquarters||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
Awane Jones, CEO, Merchlar |
Eric St-Pierre, CFO, Merchlar
Bassil Silim Jones, Creative Director, Merchlar
Hazem Rushdi Mohamed, CTO, Merchlar
Number of employees
Merchlar is an augmented reality (AR) company based in Montreal and Paris. It develops mobile applications using AR technology for clients, including: Desjardins Group, Ubisoft, and Mohegan Sun. In addition to its agency, Merchlar has an R&D department which creates patented AR technology.
Monumental Technologies was founded in December 2010 by Awane Jones and Eric St-Pierre. They decided to create a mobile music community – the world's first Augmented Reality mobile platform for artists to create their own application at zero cost.
In 2011, the company evolved into Merchlar (Merchandizing loves Augmented Reality), a digital agency that powers augmented reality & virtual reality and offers interactive marketing solutions to companies such as Alliance Films, Bell, Desjardins Group, Montreal International Jazz Festival, University of Maryland, and World Conference on Information Technology (WCIT).
One year after the agency was formed, Contest of Quebec Entrepreneurs named Merchlar Best New Technology Company in April and granted the company Award/Coup de Coeur Contest in the following May. In June, Awane Jones and Bassil Silim Jones were selected by the Canadian Youth Business Foundation (CYBF) to represent the official Canadian delegation at the G20 Young Entrepreneur Summit (G20 YES) in Mexico City.
Today, Merchlar delivers AR/VR solutions and invite mobile users to go from seeing a business to experiencing it. Through the front camera lens of a smart device, users are able to use their cellphones or digital device to scan their surroundings and find out live information on the spot.
Awards & Recognition
|November||Pearl Awards||Air Canada's National Treasures - Spafax - bronze medals - categories: Best Interactive Content and Best Overall Web Design|
|November||Ingenious Awards||La Légende de Sarila / The Legend of Sarila Augmented Reality mobile app - nominated|
|November||Editorial & Design Awards||Air Canada’s National Treasures - Interactive map app - Merchlar & Spafax nominated|
|November||World Technology Summit & Awards||Category Marketing Communications - Hazem Rushdi Mohamed - CTO Merchlar - finalist|
|June||Ernst and Young – ‘Entrepreneur of the year’||Awane Jones CEO Merchlar - nominated|
|May||FWA Mobile of the Day||WCIT AR - Augmented Reality application|
|May||Boomerang Grand Awards||Interactive Marketing & Technology - "Le jazz se dessine" Bell Jazz Festival|
|March||FWA Mobile of the Day||"Get On Target" Desjardins AR|
|November||Fuel Awards: 20 Under 30||Bassil Silim Jones - COO Merchlar - winner|
|May||Quebec Entrepreneur||Merchlar wins Top Award/Coup de Coeur|
|April||Contest for Quebec Entrepreneurs||Merchlar - best new technology company|
- Awane Jones CEO Merchlar interviewed on Global News 
- Merchlar - SHOWREEL 
- Merchlar + Rutgers Football - Yahoo Sports 
- Merchlar + Rutgers Football - NJ.COM 
- Merchlar: Valentine's Surprise - Ads of the world 
- Merchlar - IX Daily 
- Merchlar participated in Montreal Startup Open House - The Gazette 
- Merchlar - Augmented Reality Magazine’s Little Burgundy - Infopresse 
- Merchlar - Top 10 Canadian tech titans - Connected for business 
- Article about Augmented Reality - Merchlar - Event Tech Brief 
- Article about Mobile apps - Merchlar - Époque Times (in French) 
- Awane Jones CEO Merchlar in Défi Montréal – Capital Innovation (YouTube) 
- Awane Jones CEO Merchlar interviewed by ITAC (The Information and Technology Association of Canada) - WCIT 2012 
- Awane Jones CEO Merchlar spoke about Augmented Reality - Canoe (in French) 
- Merchlar participated in Startup Festival - Les Affaires (in French) 
- Éric St-Pierre Co-Founder and CFO Merchlar interviewed by Baron - Baron (in French) 
- "Merchlar – Where Are They Now?". Canadian Youth Business Foundation (CYBF). Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Merchlar: Adding Another Dimension to Reality". Information Technology Association of Canada. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- Jenny Yee. "Experiences from the Spin Master Innovation Fund Program – Awane Moufide Jones". CYBF. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Défi Montreal: Merchlar Music Community". Défi Montreal. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Merchlar takes augmented reality to mobile devices" (in Arabic). humam alhilali. Retrieved 24 April 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "CTV NEWS SPOT ON MERCHLAR LABS". CTV. Retrieved 23 April 2013.
- "Merchlar signe l'application de " La légende de Sarila "" (in French). Lien Multimedia. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Cirque du Soleil - Mobile Application". AdWeek. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Desjardins AR". Daily App Update. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Media: Twenty Young Canadian Entrepreneurs Selected to Join Canadian Delegation at the G20 Young Entrepreneur Summit in Mexico". CYBF. 3 May 2012. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- Chen, Yi. "Augmented Reality: Fad or the Future?". PSFK. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "Go For The Gold: 2013 Pearl Award Winners". Archived from the original on 2013-11-20. Retrieved 18 Nov 2013.
- "FWA: "WCIT AR"". FWA Awards. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "Le jazz se dessine". Infopresse. Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- "FWA: "Get On Target" Desjardins AR". FWA Awards. Archived from the original on 9 November 2013. Retrieved 24 April 2013.
- "Meet the Winners of the 2012 Fuel Awards". FuEL Awards. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 22 October 2012.
- "Augmented reality: a new way to experience life". Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Belle démonstration de l'Agence Merchlar sur des expériences immersives". Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Rutgers uses new app aimed at recruits of all ages -- and it's within NCAA rules". Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Rutgers launches new football app to extend recruiting reach to potential prospects of all ages". Retrieved 17 March 2014.
- "Merchlar: Valentine's Surprise". Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "The StartUp Life #5: The Merchlar Way - Always Getting Better". Retrieved 14 February 2014.
- "Startups stage open house". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Initiatives web house". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Top 10 Canadian Tech Titans". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Augmented Reality. The Next Big Thing or Just a Gimmick". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Quand les applications mobiles font Boom!". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Merchlar awesone success : a great startup who got 1M$ with exceptional conditions". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "Merchlar - Adding Another Dimension to Reality". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "La réalité augmentée: le monde est-il enfin prêt ?". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "10 start-ups québécoises croisées au Startup Festival". Retrieved 8 November 2013.
- "L'histoire de bureau d'Éric St-Pierre, cofondateur de Merchlar". Retrieved 18 December 2013.