|Location||Darmstadt, Germany (Headquarters)|
|Industry||Biotechnology / Pharmaceutical|
|Key Products||Rebif, Gonal-f, Luveris, Ovidrel/Ovitrelle, Serostim, Saizen, Zorbtive and Raptiva, Erbitux|
|Revenue||USD ~5 billion (projected)|
Merck Serono (EMD Serono in the United States and Canada) is a pharmaceutical company headquartered in Darmstadt, Germany. In September 2006, Merck KGaA announced its intent to purchase the majority of Serono shares from Ernesto Bertarelli and the Bertarelli family. The Merck-Serono merger was announced on 21 September 2006. Merck KGaA and Serono operated as distinct entities until at least January 2007. As of January 5, 2007, Merck held the majority shares of Serono. The new company is called Merck Serono international SA. In 2012, Merck KGaA closed its former Swiss headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland.
Merck KGaA is a completely separate company from the US company Merck & Co.. Therefore, in the US & Canada, Merck Serono is known as EMD Serono.
In addition to internal research and development activities Merck Serono is also involved in publicly funded collaborative research projects, with other industrial and academic partners. One example in the area of non-clinical safety assessment is the InnoMed PredTox. The company is expanding its activities in joint research projects within the framework of the Innovative Medicines Initiative of EFPIA and the European Commission.
Notes and references
- Background Info, www.merckserono.com
- Mattes, William B. (2008). "Public Consortium Efforts in Toxicogenomics". In Mendrick, Donna L.; Mattes, William B. Essential Concepts in Toxicogenomics. Methods in Molecular Biology 460. pp. 221–238. doi:10.1007/978-1-60327-048-9_11. ISBN 978-1-58829-638-2. PMID 18449490.
- "InnoMed PredTox Member Organizations". Retrieved 2008-08-25.
- Innovative Medicines Initiative. "IMI Call Topics 2008". IMI-GB-018v2-24042008-CallTopics.pdf. European Commission. Retrieved 2008-08-25.[dead link]
- List of pharmaceutical companies
- Pharmaceutical industry in Switzerland
- Campus Biotech
- Sutro Biopharma
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Merck Serono.|
- Merck Serono company website
- EMD [www.emdserono.com Serono]