Michael Fitzpatrick (musician)
Fitzpatrick in 2014
|Birth name||Michael Sean Fitzpatrick|
|Also known as||Fitz|
|Born||21 July 1970|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California|
|Genres||Indie pop, neo-soul|
|Instruments||Vocals, piano, keyboard|
|Associated acts||Fitz and The Tantrums, Band of Merrymakers|
Fitz and The Tantrums were heralded as a "band to watch" in an April 2011 profile in Rolling Stone. Their 2010 debut full-length album Pickin' Up the Pieces has received critical acclaim and reached #1 on the Billboard Heatseekers chart.
Born 21 July 1970  in Montluçon, France, Fitzpatrick grew up in Los Angeles, California. His father, Robert Fitzpatrick, is Irish American and his mother, Sylvie, is French. He attended the L.A. County High School for the Arts, studying vocal music, and then studied experimental film at the California Institute of the Arts, where he met fellow band member James King. Although he now composes primarily on the piano and organ, he only had formal piano training later in life. He has said, "I'd always been a decent singer, but I got frustrated by my inability to play piano by anything more than by ear. I took piano lessons when I was 32, and it opened up a whole new vocabulary for me." Fitzpatrick grew up mostly listening to classical music, as he was discouraged from listening to other music styles in the household. One concession, however, was being allowed to listen to a local oldie radio station in the car driving to and from school.
In late 2008, Fitzpatrick received a call from an ex-girlfriend to tell him about a neighbor who needed to unload a church organ for $50. Fitzpatrick told her to pay the neighbor the $50 and arranged to have the organ moved to his apartment that same day. That evening, inspired by the organ, he wrote the song "Breakin' the Chains of Love". He has stated, "I immediately knew it was the best song I'd written. I could astral plane out and hear myself, like, 'wow!' Not bad!". Fitzpatrick decided to form a band, and contacted friend and saxophonist James King. Through phone calls they assembled the band, with King recommending singer Noelle Scaggs and drummer John Wicks, and Wicks in turn bringing in bassist Ethan Phillips and keyboardist Jeremy Ruzumna. The band met for its first rehearsal a week later and instantly clicked.
In interviews he has emphasized his eclectic musical tastes. He has said, "We [the band] all have a love affair with soul and funk music. For me, it’s obviously Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, the Supremes, all that stuff. My musical taste runs the gamut from Radiohead to Zeppelin to Major Lazer. My older brother was really into '80s new wave, so a lot of the first records I got to borrow and steal were his."
In May 2013, it was announced that Fitzpatrick was expecting a child with then-girlfriend actress Kaylee DeFer. DeFer gave birth to their son, Theodore Ignatius, in September 2013. Fitzpatrick and DeFer married on 25 July 2015. They welcomed their second son, Sebastian Danger, in April 2017. Their third son, Rémy Lincoln Fitzpatrick, was born on May 26, 2019.
- LL Cool J - "Not Leaving You Tonight" (featuring Eddie Van Halen) on Authentic (2013)
- Flo Rida - "That's What I Like" on My House (2015)
- Cash Cash - "Broken Drum" on Blood, Sweat & 3 Years (2016)
- Weezer - "Jacked Up" (featuring Nadya of Pussy Riot) on Weezer (2016)
- ZZ Ward- "Domino" on ZZ Ward (2017)
- "Band to Watch: Fitz and the Tantrums Put a Modern Spin on Motown". Rolling Stone. 12 Apr 2011. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- Fitz & the Tantrums at Billboard.com
- Fitz & The Tantrums [@FitzAndTantrums] (21 July 2010). "Its Fitz's Birthday Today! Send him your Happys !" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "File-O-Facts: Michael Fitzpatrick of Fitz And The Tantrums". AltSounds. Archived from the original on 3 January 2013. Retrieved 13 April 2013.
- "Method of modern love - Deconstructing the soul-fueled fervor for Fitz & the Tantrums". Colorado Springs Independent. Colorado Springs. 2 Jun 2011. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- "Fitz & the Tantrums: Finding plenty of soul mates". Buzz Bands. Los Angeles. 17 Jun 2010. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- "Fitz and The Tantrums Interview With UTARadio.com". 6 Dec 2009. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- Korina Lopez (February 13, 2011). "On the verge: Fitz & the Tantrums channel the Motown spirit". USA Today. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- ""Fitz and the Tantrums' Music Draws a Lot from Motown." - Interview". Zoiks Online. 22 Jun 2011. Retrieved 22 Jun 2011.
- Eggenberger, Nicole (May 8, 2013). "Kaylee DeFer Pregnant: Gossip Girl Actress, 26, Expecting First Child With Boyfriend Michael Fitzpatrick, 42". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Takeda, Allison (September 21, 2013). "Kaylee DeFer Gives Birth to Baby Boy With Boyfriend Michael Fitzpatrick!". Us Weekly. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Fitz on Instagram: "One year ago today I got to marry this incredible woman. I love you @kayleedefer I'm the luckiest guy in the world."". Instagram.
- "Fitz on Instagram: "Sebastian Danger Fitzpatrick Born April 11th at 2:27pm. 7pounds 15 ounces. Mama @kayleedefer and her boy squad!"". Instagram.