Michele J. Gelfand
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
Michele J. Gelfand
Michele J. Gelfand is an American cultural psychologist. She is both a professor of organizational behavior and the John H. Scully professor of cross-cultural management at the Stanford Graduate School of Business, and – by courtesy – a professor of psychology at the School of Humanities and Sciences of Stanford University. She has published research on tightness–looseness theory.
Education and career
Gelfand graduated from Colgate University with a B.A. in psychology in 1989. In 1996 she completed a PhD in social psychology and organizational psychology at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, where she studied under Harry Triandis. She was on the faculty of New York University from 1995 to 1996, and worked at the University of Maryland, College Park from 1996.
She is an editor of Advances in Culture and Psychology, which she co-founded; Psychology of Conflict and Conflict Management in Organizations; and The Handbook of Negotiation and Culture. She was the president of the International Association for Conflict Management from 2009 to 2010.
Gelfand has published work on the influences of culture on conflict and resolution and on revenge and forgiveness. She has worked on theoretical frameworks such as individualism–collectivism and tightness–looseness theory; her book on this topic, Rule Makers, Rule Breakers: How Tight and Loose Cultures Wire Our World, was published in 2018. In 2021 she had an h-index of 54, according to Scopus.
Awards and honors
- Distinguished Early Career Contribution Award, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2002)
- Cummings Scholarly Achievement Award, Academy of Management Organizational Behavior Division (2002)
- Outstanding Article of the Year Award, International Association for Conflict Management (2009, 2004, and 2001)
- Distinguished University Scholar-Teacher, University of Maryland, College Park (2009)
- Best Paper Award for New Directions, Academy of Management Conflict Management Division (2009)
- Anneliese Maier Research Award, Alexander von Humboldt Foundation (2011)
- Gordon Allport Intergroup Relations Prize, Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues (2012)
- William A. Owens Scholarly Achievement Award, Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology (2014)
- Carol and Ed Diener Award in Social Psychology, Society for Personality and Social Psychology (2015)
- Outstanding International Psychologist Award, American Psychological Association (2017)
- Fellow, American Academy of Arts and Sciences (2019)
- Member, U. S. National Academy of Sciences (2021)
- "Michele J. Gelfand". Stanford Graduate School of Business. Retrieved September 21, 2021.
- "Michele J. Gelfand Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). University of Maryland Department of Psychology. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 12, 2017. Retrieved March 9, 2017.
- "Research: Culture and Psychology". Michele F. Gelfand. University of Maryland Department of Psychology. Archived from the original on October 18, 2015. Retrieved June 2, 2016.
- Matthew (November 4, 2014). "Michele Gelfand, University of Maryland – American Regionalism". The Academic Minute. WAMC Northeast Public Radio. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- "24th Annual Conference of the International Association for Conflict Management". Association Française d'Economie Expérimentale. Retrieved June 1, 2016.
- Gelfand, Michele J. (September 11, 2018). Rule makers, rule breakers : how tight and loose cultures wire our world (First Scribner hardcover ed.). New York, NY. ISBN 978-1-5011-5293-1. LCCN 2018010275. OCLC 1039191230. OL 26975086M.
- Author last name "Gelfand" , Author first name "Michelle". Scopus. Accessed July 2021.
- "Past SIOP Award Recipients". Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "Cummings Scholarly Achievement Award, Past Award Winners". Organizational Behavior Division of the Academy of Management. May 31, 2016. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "IACM Outstanding Article or Book Chapter Award Recipients". International Association of Conflict Management. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "Distinguished Scholar Teacher Recipients". University of Maryland Office of Faculty Affairs. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "CMD Sponsored Awards". Academy of Management, Conflict Management Division. Archived from the original on January 14, 2007. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "Gelfand Receives Anneliese Maier Research Award". Association for Psychological Science - Aps. October 4, 2012. Retrieved June 2, 2016.
- "Gordon Allport Intergroup Relations Prize Winners" (PDF). Society for the Psychological Study of Social Issues. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "William A. Owens Scholarly Achievement Award, Past Recipients". American Psychological Association. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "Diener Award in Social Psychology, Past Recipients". Society for Personality and Social Psychology. Retrieved June 3, 2016.
- "Outstanding International Psychologist Awards, Past Recipients". American Psychological Association. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- "Two University of Maryland Faculty Elected to American Academy of Arts and Sciences". UMD Right Now :: University of Maryland. April 17, 2019. Retrieved March 8, 2020.
- "News from the National Academy of Sciences". April 26, 2021. Retrieved July 2, 2021.
Newly elected members and their affiliations at the time of election are: ... Gelfand, Michele J.; distinguished university professor, department of psychology, University of Maryland, College Park