Promotional release poster
|Directed by||Claude Nuridsany|
|Produced by||Christophe Barratier|
|Written by||Claude Nuridsany|
|Narrated by||Jacques Perrin (French version)|
Kristin Scott Thomas (English version)
|Music by||Bruno Coulais|
|Distributed by||BAC Films (France)|
Miramax Films (US)
Alliance Atlantis (Canada)
|Box office||$52.8 million|
Microcosmos (French: Microcosmos: Le peuple de l'herbe; lit. Microcosmos: People of the grass) is a 1996 documentary film written and directed by Claude Nuridsany and Marie Pérennou and produced by Jacques Perrin. An international co-production of France, Switzerland, Italy and the United Kingdom, the film showcases detailed interactions between insects and other small invertebrates, and features music by Bruno Coulais.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (June 2020)
Microcosmos, unlike a number of other nature documentaries, does not feature narration for most of its runtime, incorporating only two brief passages of narration. In the French-language version of the film, these passages are narrated by producer Jacques Perrin, while in the English version, Kristin Scott Thomas serves as narrator.
Roger Ebert gave Microcosmos four out of four stars, calling it "...an amazing film that allows us to peer deeply into the insect world and marvel at creatures we casually condemn to squishing." Janet Maslin of The New York Times wrote that "this quick, captivating film offers a taste of the exotic to viewers of any stripe (or spot). And it's a breathtaking reminder that Mother Nature remains the greatest special effects wizard of all."
Awards and nominations
- César Awards (France)
- Won: Best Cinematography (Thierry Machado, Claude Nuridsany, Marie Pérennou and Hugues Ryffel)
- Won: Best Editing (Florence Ricard and Marie-Josèphe Yoyotte)
- Won: Best Music (Bruno Coulais)
- Won: Best Producer (Jacques Perrin)
- Won: Best Sound (Philippe Barbeau and Bernard Leroux)
- Nominated: Best Film
- Nominated: Best First Work (Claude Nuridsany and Marie Pérennou)
- Nominated: Best Sound (Laurent Quaglio)
- "Microcosmos, le peuple de l\'herbe (1996)". JP's Box-Office. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Microcosmos, Le Peuple de l'herbe". Festival de Cannes. Retrieved 20 September 2009.
- Kahana, Jonathan, ed. (2016). The Documentary Film Reader: History, Theory, Criticism. Oxford University Press. p. 978. ISBN 978-0199739646.
- Ebert, Roger (10 January 1997). "Microcosmos movie review & film summary (1997)". RogerEbert.com. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- Maslin, Janet (9 October 1996). "Microcosmos (1996) Bee Loves Orchid; Little Beetle Works Very Hard". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 10 March 2016. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "Microcosmos (1996)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 7 June 2020.
|This article about a nature documentary film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|