This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Miguel Altieri is a Chilean born agronomist and entomologist. He is a Professor of Agroecology at the University of California, Berkeley in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management.
Miguel Altieri studied agronomy at the University of Chile, where he received a BS. He graduated with a Ph.D. in entomology at the University of Florida. In 1981 he became Professor of agroecology at the University of California, Berkeley in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy and Management.
He has been teaching courses in agroecology, agroforestry and urban agriculture. He is an advocate of sustainable agriculture and is highly critical of large agribusiness corporations such as Cargill, Monsanto, and ADM. He has conducted most of his research in California and Chile working closely with farmers and workers to implement principles of integrated pest management, intercropping, cover cropping, crop-field border vegetation manipulation, and other sustainable practices of biological control.
Altieri served as a Scientific Advisor to the Latin American Consortium on Agroecology and Development (CLADES) Chile, an NGO network promoting agroecology as a strategy for small farm sustainable development in the region. He also served for 4 years as the General Coordinator for the United Nations Development Programme’s Sustainable Agriculture Networking and Extension Programme which aimed at capacity building on agroecology among NGOs and the scaling-up of successful local sustainable agricultural initiatives in Africa, Latin America and Asia. He was the chairman of the NGO committee of the Consultative Group on International Agriculture Research whose mission was to make sure that the research agenda of the 15 International Agricultural Research Centers benefited poor farmers. He was Director of the US-Brasil Consortium on Agroecology and Sustainable Rural Development (CASRD), an academic-research exchange program involving students and faculty of UC Berkeley, University of Nebraska, UNICAMP and Universidad Federal de Santa Catarina. AS of 2011 he has been advisor to the Food and Agriculture Organization Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) program, which is devoted at identifying and dynamically conserving traditional farming systems in the developing world. He is the President of the Latin American Scientific Society of Agroecology. In 2012, he supported farming the Gill Tract, a UC owned part of land. in 2017, he became Honorary Professor of the University of La Frontera 
Altieri is the author of more than 200 publications, and numerous books including Agroecology: The Science of Sustainable Agriculture and Biodiversity, Pest Management in Agroecosystems and Agroecology and the Search for a Truly Sustainable Agriculture.
- The significance of diversity in the maintenance of the sustainability of traditional agro-ecosystems ILEIA Newsletter, 3.2, July 1987
- SOCLA’s Ph.D. programme: A new cadre of scientists-activists Farming Matters, 29.3, September 2013
- Agro-ecological approaches to enhance resilience LEISA India, 14.2, June 2012
- Managing pests through plant diversification LEISA Magazine, 22.4, December 2006
- Miguel Altieri, Faculty page Department of Environmental Science, Policy, & Management. UC Berkeley, n.d.
- Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems (GIAHS) program, FAO, n.d.
- Howard, P, Puri, R, Smith, L, Altierri, M.. A Scientific Conceptual Framework and Strategic Principles for the Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems Programme from a Social-ecological Systems Perspective. Rome, 44 pp, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. 2008
- Parviz Koohafkan and Miguel A. Altieri, for the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Globally Important Agricultural Heritage Systems:A Scientific and Conceptual Framework and Strategic Principles. FAO 46 pp
- "Biography". Agroecology in Action. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Glen Martin Getting a Front Row Seat at Occupy the Farm: The Movie California Magazine / Just In, December 17, 2014
- Professor Miguel Altieri Honored for Leadership in Agroecology February 03, 2017, Department of Environmental Science, Policy, & Management. Regents of the University of California.
- Miguel Altieri. Agroecology: The Science Of Sustainable Agriculture, 2nd Edition 448 pages, Westview Press; 2 edition (October 13, 1995), ISBN 0813317185
- "Miguel Altieri". Global Alternatives. CENSA: Center for the Study of the Americas, Berkeley, CA. n.d. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- Agroecology UC Berkley
- Miguel Altieri United Nations, General Assembly, n.d.
- Agroecology in Action
- Urban Agroecology
- The Latin American Scientific Society of Agroecology
- Interview with Miguel Altieri: Why is agroecology the solution to hunger and food security? YouTube video, 4min, Transnational Institute, 12.01.2012
- "Miguel Altieri on industrial agriculture and agroecology". Global Public Media. Archived from the original on 2008-07-25. Retrieved 2009-11-05.
- Schoch, Russel. "A Conversation with Miguel Altieri". Mindfully.org. Archived from the original on 2001-11-01. Retrieved 2009-11-05.