Mihai Volontir in a 1960s film
|Died||15 September 2015 (aged 81)|
After over a decade of working in theatre, Volontir began appearing in films made at the Moldova-Film studio in 1967. He became famous in the late 1970s after his roles in In the Zone of Special Attention and The Gypsy film series. The films were so popular that he is still strongly associated with his character, Budulai, a wise lone gypsy. His performance resulted in increased tolerance towards gypsy communities in the Soviet Union. The film series was revived fifteen years later with a new production as well as a TV series.
Volontir worked at the Vasile Alecsandri Theatre in Bălţi, where he was employed as an actor from 1957 until his death in 2015.
17 September 2015, the day of his funeral, was declared a day of National Mourning in Moldova.
- In the Zone of Special Attention (1978)
- Centaurs (1978)
- Hit Back (1981)
- Incident at Map Grid 36-80 (1982)
- Order of the Republic (Moldova)
- Vasilyev Brothers State Prize of the RSFSR (1980)
- People's Artist of the USSR (1984)
- "17 сентября объявили днем национального траура: страна простится с Михаем Волонтиром". publika.md. 15 September 2015. Retrieved 16 September 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mihai Volontir.|
|This article about a European actor or actress is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Moldovan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|