|Alma mater||California Polytechnic State University - San Luis Obispo|
|Employer||Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers|
|Awards||TechFellow Award - Engineering Leadership 2009|
Early life and education
Raised in Saratoga, California, Abbott earned a bachelor's degree in biochemistry in 1994 from California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo and has completed coursework towards a PhD from the University of Washington.
Abbott began his career in 1994 as a research associate at SRI International. After spending a year and a half working towards his PhD at the University of Washington, Abbott returned to the workforce as a research scientist with GeneTrace Systems. He then served as an architect/director at USWeb and VP of Engineering and Chief Technical Officer at Electron Economy. In 2001, Abbott started Composite Software (acquired by Cisco), a data virtualization company, from his home office. He would then go on the co-found Passenger before serving as General Manager of Microsoft's .NET services and later leading the webOS software development team at Palm.
In May 2010, Abbott joined Twitter as Vice President of Engineering. At Twitter, Abbott is credited with rebuilding and solidifying Twitter’s infrastructure, growing the engineering team from 80 to more than 350 engineers in less than a year and a half, and scaling Twitter’s architecture to support hundreds of millions of daily tweets.
- "2014 30 under 30: Technology; Judges: Steve Case, Mike Abbott, Caterina Fake". Forbes. December 7, 2014.
- Julie Bort (December 3, 2012). "Kleiner's Mike Abbott: Venture Capital Must Change". Business Insider.
- "Mike Abbott". Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers. Retrieved December 8, 2014.
- "Executive Profile Michael R. Abbott Ph.D." Bloomberg Businessweek. December 12, 2014.
- Derek Andersen (January 12, 2013). "Startup Grind Interview With Mike Abbott". Startup Grind.
- Zack Whittaker (June 20, 2013). "Cisco to acquire Composite Software for $180M". ZDNet.
- Dan Primack (December 1, 2011). "Ex-Twitter engineer Mike Abbott joins Kleiner Perkins". Fortune.
- Colleen Taylor (December 1, 2011). "Ex-Twitter VP engineering Mike Abbott joins Kleiner Perkins as partner". Gigaom.
- Julie Bort (December 2, 2012). "Kleiner's Mike Abbott: Venture Capital Must Change". Business Insider.
- Leena Rao (December 1, 2011). "Former Twitter Engineering VP And Benchmark EIR Mike Abbott Joins Kleiner Perkins As Partner". TechCrunch.
|This biographical article relating to a computer specialist in the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|