March 4, 1986
São Paulo, Brazil
|Education||Stanford University (BS, MS)|
|Known for||Co-Founder of Instagram|
Michel Krieger (born March 4, 1986) is a Brazilian-American entrepreneur and software engineer who co-founded Instagram along with Kevin Systrom, and served as its CTO. Instagram expanded from a few million users to 1 billion monthly active users while Krieger served as CTO.
Life and career
Krieger was born in São Paulo, Brazil, and moved to California in 2004 to attend Stanford University. At Stanford, where he studied symbolic systems, he met Kevin Systrom, and the two co-founded Instagram in 2010. Krieger and Systrom had the idea of building a check-in app, before they made it exclusive for pictures. During the early days, most of the engineering and user experience were developed solely by Krieger. One of the stories related to Instagram’s early days that Krieger recalled is:
One time I woke up and there was an email saying that the site went down, and I was like, who fixed it? Shane, did you fix it? Kev, did you fix it? No. And eventually on the terminal, you press up and you get to see what was the last thing you typed. So, apparently, at 3:30 in the morning I somehow managed to, in a completely drunken state, revive Instagram. That’s how much we were struggling in those days.
On April 18, 2020, Krieger teamed up with Systrom again to launch Rt.live, their first product together since leaving Facebook. Rt.live is an up-to-date tracker of how fast COVID-19 is spreading in each US state.
In April 2015, Krieger announced a partnership with charity evaluator GiveWell, committing US$750,000 over the next two years. The funds are to support operations, with 90% allocated to grants identified and recommended through the Open Philanthropy Project process.
In 2021, the Krieger's helped fund the opening of the Institute of Contemporary Art San Francisco (ICA SF) in Dogpatch, alongside funds from Pamela and David Hornik; and Deborah and Andy Rappaport.
Krieger is married to Kaitlyn Trigger.
- "Instagram hits 1 billion monthly users, up from 800M in September". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- Newton, Casey (2018-10-15). "Kevin Systrom on quitting Instagram: 'No one ever leaves a job because everything's awesome'". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-10-05.
- Newton, Casey (2019-04-17). "We finally know why the Instagram founders really quit". The Verge. Retrieved 2021-10-05.
- Joe Garofoli (2012-01-24). "Steve Jobs' widow, Instagram founder sitting with Michelle Obama at State of the Union". SFGate.com.
- Christine Longorio (2012-04-09). "Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, Founders of Instagram". Inc. magazine.
- Somini Sengupta, Nicole Perlroth and Jenna Wortham (2012-04-13). "Behind Instagram's Success, Networking the Old Way". New York Times.
- Keynote: Instagram Founders Kevin Systrom & Mike Krieger | SXSW 2019, retrieved 2019-10-25
- "Mike Krieger on Instagram: "I love the story behind Donuts Damari (@donutsdamari). The founders, Carolina and Mariana, started their company a year ago, and deliver…"". Instagram. Archived from the original on 2021-12-24. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- "Mike Krieger on Instagram: "Today, Instagram announced a set of new products at the #f82018 conference, including integrations with other apps like @spotify, a new…"". Instagram. Archived from the original on 2021-12-24. Retrieved 2019-10-25.
- "Instagram founders launch COVID-19 spread tracker Rt.live". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2020-04-19.
- Karnofsky, Holden (23 April 2015). "Co-funding Partnership with Kaitlyn Trigger and Mike Krieger". GiveWell.
- "Native American artist Jeffrey Gibson is reuniting land, people and song". Financial Times. 2022-10-25. Retrieved 2022-11-20.
- Bravo, Tony (July 19, 2022). "Exclusive: Bay Area couple gifts $1 million to new Institute of Contemporary Art San Francisco". Datebook, The San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved 2022-11-20.
- "San Francisco will greet a new Institute of Contemporary Art". The Art Newspaper - International art news and events. 2021-09-08. Retrieved 2022-11-20.
- Sarah Thornton, "Kaitlyn Trigger On Her Wedding to Instagram Co-Founder Mike Krieger, Being a Woman in Tech, and Her Growing Art Collection", August 11, 2015
- CEO Secrets: Instagram boss on how to avoid 'burnout', BBC News 2015