Mikkalo is an unincorporated community in Gilliam County, Oregon, United States, at an elevation of 1,470 feet (450 m). Mikkalo is about 4 miles (6.4 km) northwest of Clem. Although unincorporated, Mikkalo has a ZIP code of 97861. In 1905, the place was named for settler John Mikkalo, and a post office opened at Mikkalo in 1907. It was along the Condon Branch of the Union Pacific Railroad. The Mikkalo Farmers Elevator had a fire on March 28, 1921.
This region experiences warm (but not hot) and dry summers, with no average monthly temperatures above 71.6 °F (22.0 °C). According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Mikkalo has a warm-summer Mediterranean climate, abbreviated "Csb" on climate maps.
- "Mikkalo". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. November 28, 1980. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Zip Code Lookup
- McArthur, Lewis A.; McArthur, Lewis L. (2003) . Oregon Geographic Names (7th ed.). Portland, Oregon: Oregon Historical Society Press. p. 641. ISBN 978-0875952772.
- "Union Pacific: Condon Branch". TrainWeb.org. Retrieved January 30, 2015. Includes photos of Mikkalo.
- Moore, Will (1923). Sixth Annual Report of the Department of State Fire Marshal for the Year Ending March 31, 1923. Salem, Oregon: State Printing Department. p. 28. Retrieved January 30, 2015.
- Climate Summary for Mikkalo, Oregon
|This Gilliam County, Oregon state location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|