Mindless Self Indulgence
Mindless Self Indulgence
|Origin||New York City, U.S.|
|Associated acts||Tub Ring, The Left Rights|
Mindless Self Indulgence (often shortened to MSI) is an American electropunk band formed in New York City in 1997. Their music has a mixed style which includes punk rock, alternative rock, electronica, techno, industrial, hip hop, and breakbeat hardcore.
Between 1987 and 1996, Jimmy Urine recorded about 35 songs which varied in musical style, usually settling in an industrial/electronic punk style. These songs were recorded with himself and his brother, Markus Euringer in New York City using rudimentary equipment. Urine and his brother released an album titled Mindless Self-Indulgence, featuring Steve, Righ?, on 'Bed of Roses', which featured songs performed in an industrial style akin to Nine Inch Nails.
According to the band's website, their first live concert was on November 5, 1998.
In 1997, Urine recorded a cover of Method Man's "Bring the Pain" that was made by merging six different styles of the same cover into one song. This became the basis for the Mindless Self Indulgence sound. Shortly after, the current band was formed when Jimmy Urine was joined by Steve, Righ? on guitar, Urine's brother Markus Euringer on second guitar (replaced by bassist Vanessa Y.T., who was subsequently replaced by bassist Lyn-Z), and Urine's cousin Kitty on drums. They have released six albums, four EPs, eight remix albums, one live album, one compilation album, and one live DVD. Rather than signing traditional record contracts, the band has licensed most of their albums to record labels, retaining ownership of the music.
In summer of 2007, the band toured as part of the Revolution Stage of Projekt Revolution, a music festival hosted by Linkin Park. In January 2009, the band headlined the Kerrang! Relentless Energy Drink tour.
In December 2010, they released a comic titled Adventures Into Mindless Self Indulgence about various tour stories and significant moments of the band's career. The band released a remastered CD/DVD version of their first full-length album, Tight, in 2011, titled Tighter. It included bonus tracks and recordings from their early days. On October 25, 2012, the band announced their fifth album via a Kickstarter campaign. How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence was released in May 2013, following with the release of singles "It Gets Worse" in December and "Fuck Machine" in January 2014. Later in January 2014, the band announced that they would be taking a hiatus.
On September 18, 2015, Mindless Self Indulgence released Pink, a collection of 19 songs recorded between 1990 and 1997 by Urine. The album includes cut-down and remastered versions of songs from the self-titled album, an audio diary recorded by Urine from July 1992, and covers of Depeche Mode's "Personal Jesus" and Duran Duran's "Girls on Film".
Sexual assault allegations against Jimmy Urine
On August 9, 2021 a lawsuit was filed against James Euringer (Jimmy Urine) in New York Supreme Court with the charge of sexual battery of a minor. In the suit, the accuser, whose identity was left anonymous because she was a minor at the time, claims that she had a sexual relationship with Euringer for over two years — from January 1997 to June 1999 — starting when she was 15 years old and Euringer was 27. Euringer, the suit alleges, "groomed and manipulated [her] into believing that his sexually assaultive behavior was not criminal and that by engaging in sexual activity with him Plaintiff was actually helping to protect younger girls from sexual assaults." Euringer knew the accuser was a minor, according to the suit, having at one point written her a letter wishing her a happy fifteenth birthday. "During this time, Euringer acted as and treated Plaintiff as though she was his girlfriend and the two were in a consensual relationship," says the suit.
According to the lawsuit, it is alleged that throughout the relationship, Euringer took pictures of the plaintiff naked and requested that she "act like a small child, suck her thumb, drool, and pee in her pants," during sexual acts. Euringer also allegedly bought the accuser a fake ID so she could go to concerts with him and drink alcohol. Euringer allegedly tried to hide their relationship by telling her not to act affectionately with him while in public. The lawsuit claims that the woman has suffered emotional distress since the relationship started.
- Jimmy Urine – lead vocals, synthesizer, programming (1995–present)
- Steve, Righ? – guitars, backing vocals (1995–present)
- Kitty – drums (1996–present)
- Lyn-Z – bass (2001–present)
- Markus Euringer – guitars, bass (1995–1998)
- Vanessa Y.T. – bass (1998–2001)
|Year||Album details||Chart peaks|
|2000||Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy
|2005||You'll Rebel to Anything
|2013||How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not certified.|
|2003||Despierta Los Niños
|2006||Another Mindless Rip Off
|2002||Alienating Our Audience
- Mindless Self Indulgence (1995)
- Crappy Little Demo (1997)
- Thank God Demo (2001)
|1999||"Bring the Pain"||—||—||Tight|
|2000||"Bitches"||—||—||Frankenstein Girls Will Seem Strangely Sexy|
|"Planet of the Apes"||—||—|
|2001||"Thank God"||—||—||Alienating Our Audience|
|2006||"Shut Me Up"||1||—||You'll Rebel to Anything|
|"Straight to Video"||1||—|
|"Never Wanted to Dance"||1||180|
|"(It's 3AM) Issues"||4||—|
|"Pay for It"||1||—|
|2009||"Evening Wear/Mark David Chapman"||1||—|
|2013||"It Gets Worse"||—||—||How I Learned to Stop Giving a Shit and Love Mindless Self Indulgence|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart.|
The Left Rights
Side project by Jimmy Urine and Steve, Righ?
- Released: September 24, 2002
- Label: Uppity Cracker
Bad Choices Made Easy
- Released: November 9, 2010
- Label: Metropolis
|2007||Our Pain, Your Gain
- "Mindless Self-Indulgence* – Mindless Self-Indulgence (1995, CD)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2020-03-24.
- "Downtime, New York, NY, 11/05/1998". Mindlessselfindulgence.com. 1998-11-05. Retrieved 2020-03-24.
- "Mindless Facts". Elftown.com. Retrieved 2014-02-28.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence Discography". discogs.com. Retrieved 2021-06-27.
- "Projekt Revolution 2007". Linkinpedia.com. Retrieved 2020-03-24.
- Wilson, Jen (October 22, 2008). "Kerrang! Tour Returns in 2009". Billboard. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence to Sign New Book at Two West Coast Events". Comic Book Resources. 6 November 2010. Retrieved 2012-07-03.
- Mindless Self Indulgence (2012-10-25). "Brand New Mindless Self Indulgence Record!". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2012-10-26.
- Haley, Caleb (March 12, 2014). "Mindless Self Indulgence's Jimmy Urine: "We're Not Gonna Break Up Unless Somebody Dies."". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- Urine, Jimmy (April 17, 2014). "Jimmy Urine: "We're Not Gonna Break Up Unless Somebody Dies."". Mindless Self Indulgence. Retrieved 19 February 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2014-08-10. Retrieved 2014-08-04.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Msi Historical Society Presents: "Pink"". Mindlessselfindulgence.com. 2015-06-25. Retrieved 2020-03-24.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence frontman Jimmy Urine sued for sexual assault of minor". 10 August 2021.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence Singer Jimmy Urine Sued over Alleged Sexual Relationship with 15-Year-Old".
- Millman, Ethan (2021-08-09). "Mindless Self Indulgence Singer Jimmy Urine Sued for Sexual Assault of Minor". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2021-08-09.
- "Jimmy Urine of Mindless Self Indulgence Sued for Alleged Sexual Battery of a Minor in the Late '90s -". 9 August 2021.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence – Charts & Awards – Billboard Albums". AllMusic. Retrieved on November 2, 2008.
- "Chart Log UK – 2008 Weekly Updates – Week 18" Zobbel. Retrieved on November 2, 2008.
- "Mindless Self Indulgence – Charts & Awards – Billboard Singles" allmusic. Retrieved on November 2, 2008.
- "Chart Log UK – 2008 Weekly Updates – Week 35" Zobbel. Retrieved on November 2, 2008.