|Look up Ming or Míng in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Ming (明) is a common personal name of the Chinese, the Koreans, and the Vietnamese. In Mandarin pinyin, it is written Míng, in Vietnamese, it is written as Minh, and in Korean it is Myung. It means "bright" or "brilliance". The Chinese character is a conjunction of the words sun (日) and moon (月), representing light, and therefore enlightenment.
Ming may also refer to:
- Ming (surname) (明), a Chinese surname
- Ming (DJ), American DJ
- Ming Tsai, a celebrity chef
- Yao Ming, professional NBA player from China
- William Robert Ming, American civil rights lawyer
- The Scottish name Menzies is correctly pronounced // MING-iss, and a shortened form is "Ming" (because the letter typed 'z' is actually the letter yogh, which is still used in the 27-letter Scottish alphabet; but typewriters throughout the UK only use 26):
- Luke 'Ming' Flanagan, an Irish politician, who takes his name from his resemblance to the fictional Ming the Merciless
- Norman Walsh, nickname for the Rhodesian and Zimbabwean air marshal
- Ming Dynasty, the ruling dynasty in China from 1368 to 1644
- Emperor Ming of Han (28–75)
- Emperor Ming of Wei (205–239), see Cao Rui
- Emperor Ming of Zhao (274–333), see Shi Le
- Emperor Ming of Jin (299–325)
- Emperor Ming of Liu Song (439–472)
- Emperor Ming of Southern Qi (452–498)
- Emperor Ming of Northern Zhou (534–560)
- Ming (typefaces), a common category of typefaces for printing Chinese characters
- Ming class submarine, a class of diesel-electric submarines built by China
- Motorola MING, a smartphone released by Motorola
- Ming library, a C library with dynamic language bindings for creating Adobe Flash (.swf) files
- Ming-Ming Duckling, a character from Wonder Pets
- Ming of Harlem, a tiger who lived in a New York apartment
- Ming (clam), an individual clam, claimed to be the oldest living animal ever discovered
- Immingham, a town in North East Lincolnshire often known as "Ming" or "Ming-Ming"
- Menzies, a Scottish name often shortened to Ming
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Ming.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.