|Official name||Takuan Power Plant|
|Location||Shuili, Nantou County|
|Opening date||1 August 1985|
|Dam and spillways|
|Type of dam||Gravity|
|Height||57.5 m (189 ft)|
|Length||169.5 m (556 ft)|
|Total capacity||9,756,000 m3 (7,909 acre⋅ft)|
|Turbines||4 x 252 MW (338,000 hp) Francis pump-turbines|
|Installed capacity||1,008 MW (1,352,000 hp)|
The Minghu Dam (Chinese: 明湖水庫; pinyin: Mínghú Shuǐkù, renamed the Takuan Dam, is a concrete gravity dam on the Shuili River located 7 km (4.3 mi) north of Shuili Township in Nantou County, Taiwan. The dam was constructed to serve as the lower reservoir for the Minhu Pumped Storage Hydro Power Station. Sun Moon Lake serves as the upper reservoir.
Takuan Power Plant
The pumped-storage hydroelectricity power plant, officially named Takuan Power Plant, which sits near the left abutment of the dam and moves water between the two reservoirs to generate electricity. During periods of low demand, such as at night, when electricity is cheap, water is pumped to Sun Moon Lake. When energy demand is high, water is released down to the power station for power generation. This is accomplished by four 252 megawatts (338,000 hp) Francis pump-turbine-generators which are reversible and serve to both pump water and generate electricity. The power plant has an installed capacity of 1,008 megawatts (1,352,000 hp).
- List of dams and reservoirs in Taiwan
- List of power stations in Taiwan
- List of pumped-storage hydroelectric power stations
- Electricity sector in Taiwan
- Chen, Po-Hung. "Particle Swarm Optimization for Power Dispatch with Pumped Hydr" (PDF). InTechOpen. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Hydropower Good Practices: Environmental Mitigation Measures and Benefits Case Study 05-06: Water Quality – Mingtan Pumped Storage, Taiwan" (PDF). IEA Hydropower Implementing Agreement Annex VIII. IEA Hydro. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- "Power Plant and Hydraulic Projects". RSEA Engineering. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Main Achievement". Taiwan Electrical & Mechanical Engineering Services, Inc. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
- "Minghu Pumped Storage Project". BES Engineering Corporation. Archived from the original on 10 September 2007. Retrieved 21 January 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Minghu Dam.|