Miriam Mandel was born in Rockglen, Saskatchewan. She gained her B.A. from the University of Saskatchewan in 1950. In 1949 she married Eli Mandel, and after her graduation the couple moved to Toronto where he worked on a Ph.D. at the University of Toronto. After he received his doctorate in 1957, they moved to Edmonton, where he taught at the University of Alberta until 1967.
Miriam Mandel was a long-time sufferer from depression. Patrick Lane, who was inspired by her to write his 1983 poem "And of the Measure of Winter We Are Sure", later said: "I remembered her from a few years before, a dark, winter night, three in the morning, the two of us out night-walking, separate in our fidelities, through the snow in Edmonton, thirty below, a wind, no one else outside, and passing her, our eyes meeting briefly, a nod, and then passing on, the look on her face not one of despair, but of such a loneliness ... that's why I wrote the poem, remembering Miriam, remembering the hell of an Edmonton winter."
- Lions at Her Face. Edmonton: White Pelican Publications, 1973.
- Station 14. Edmonton: NeWest Press, 1977. ISBN 0-920316-08-5 ISBN 978-0920316085
- Where Have You Been?. Edmonton: Longspoon Press, 1980. ISBN 0-919285-00-7 ISBN 9780919285002
- The Collected Poems of Miriam Mandel. Sheila Watson, ed. Edmonton: Longspoon Press, 1984. ISBN 0-920316-50-6 ISBN 978-0920316504
- Miriam Mandel et al. Herpes Handbook: A Guide For the Diagnosis and Management of Herpes Genitals. Toronto: R.E.A.C.H., 1981.
- The Miriam Mandel Papers. Sandra Mortensen, compiler; Apollonia Steele and Jean F. Tener, ed. Calgary: University of Calgary Press, 1990. ISBN 0-919813-61-5 ISSN 0831-4497
Except where noted, bibliographic information courtesy University of Saskatchewan.
- "Mandel, Miriam, 1930-1982," Special Collections, University of Calgary Library, UCalgary.ca, Web, Apr, 24, 2011.
- "Mandel, Eli," Encyclopedia of Saskatchewan, URegina.ca, Web, Apr. 25, 2011.
- "Elias (Eli) Wolf Mandel Biography," Estevan, Saskatchewan, Gent-Family.com, Web, Apr. 25, 2011.
- Marlene Alt, "Mandel, Miriam," Canadian Encyclopedia (Edmonton: Hurtig, 1988), 1290.
- Questions and Answers, "And of the Measure of Winter We Are Sure," CanLit Poets, Canadian Literature,
- "Bibliography of Works by Sheila Watson Archived 2010-11-06 at the Wayback Machine.," English-Canadian Writers, AthabascaU.ca, Web, Apr. 22, 2011.
- "The Miriam Mandel Papers," University of Calgary Press," Web, Apr. 25, 2011.
- "Books by former English Department Students," USask.ca, Web, Apr. 25, 2011.