|Alma mater||Ottawa University (Kansas) (B.A.) |
Ohio University (M.S.)
|Years active||1998 – Present|
|Title||AD for Kentucky Wildcats|
Mitch Barnhart is the athletics director for the Kentucky Wildcats athletics program at the University of Kentucky in Lexington, Kentucky. Barnhart was hired by the university in 2002 succeeding Larry Ivy. Barnhart served in the same capacity at Oregon State University from 1998-2002. He is the university's tenth athletics director. In March 2016 Barnhart signed an extension on his contract which will keep him at Kentucky until 2022
Tenure at Kentucky
Barnhart is currently the longest serving AD in the SEC. For the 2016-17 school year, Kentucky athletics finished 10th nationally in the NACDA Directors' Cup, more than 100 student-athletes graduating, and finishing five straight years with an average GPA of over 3.0. 
As of 2017, several coaches and administrators who have worked under Barnhart at Kentucky are now serving as athletic directors at other universities, including: 
- Greg Byrne of Alabama
- Mark Coyle at Minnesota
- Rob Mullens at Oregon
- Scott Stricklin at Florida
- John Cohen at Mississippi State
- "Lexington Herald-Leader". Retrieved 9 February 2011.
- "Mitch Barnhart named UK Athletics Director After Four Years in Oregon State Post". University of Kentucky Public Relations. 15 July 2002. Retrieved 28 December 2008.
- "Barnhart Given Contract extension".
- "Athletic Director - Mitch Barnhart". University of Kentucky. Retrieved 11 July 2017.