Mohamed Chande Othman
|The Hon. Chief Justice|
Mohamed Chande Othman
|Chief Justice of Tanzania|
28 December 2010 – 18 January 2017
|Appointed by||Jakaya Kikwete|
|Preceded by||Augustino Ramadhani|
|Succeeded by||Ibrahim Hamis Juma|
1 January 1952|
Webster University Geneva
The Hague Academy of International Law
Internationally he is highly respected for his deep understanding of political, legal and other dimensions relating to International Humanitarian Law, Refugee Law, Criminal Law and Evidence, and Peacekeeping. He held various positions as expert advisor and UN prosecutor at criminal tribunals such as the UNDP Cambodia, the East Timor (UNTAET), the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR), UN Human Rights Council for a) the Israel-Lebanon Armed Conflict and b) the Southern Sudan.
- LL.B (Hon), University of Dar Es salaam, 1974
- M.A (International Relations) Webster University, Geneva, Switzerland, 1982
- Certificate, The Hague Academy of International Law, the Netherlands, 1983
- Head of the UN Independent Panel of Experts, charged with the assessment and examination of new information relating to the tragic death of the former UN Secretary-General Dag Hammarskjöld (since Mar. 2015)
- UN Human Rights Council’s: Member of the High-Level Commission of Inquiry into the Situation in Lebanon following the Israel-Lebanon Armed Conflict (2006)
- UN Human Rights Council‘s: Independent Expert on the human rights situation in the Sudan (2009-2010). He visits Southern Sudan and the Abyei area.
- Prosecutor General of East Timor (UNTAET) (Jun-1999 – Jul-2002)
- Chief of Prosecutions of the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR) (1998 – 2000)
Tanzania Justice Department positions
- Chief Justice of Tanzania (Dec. 2010 – Jan. 2017 )
- High Court Judge (Dec. 2003 – Oct. 2004)
- Appeal Court Judge (Aug. 2004 – Feb. 2008)
Other Legal and Professional experience
- Member of the board of trustees of the Aga Khan University (since 2017)
- Expert advisor for the Africa Group for Justice and Accountability - Wayamo Foundation.
- Senior Legal and Justice Reform Advisor for UNDP Cambodia
- Chairman of the Presidential Commission on Inquiry on the Relocation of Pastoralists and their Livestock from Usanga Valley in Ihefu, Mbarali District, Tanzania
- Public Prosecutor for the Bank of Tanzania
- Working with the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
- Co-founder of the Sidéco Group Ltd., International Development and Trade Corporation in Geneva (1983)
- Accountability for International Humanitarian law Violations: The Case of Rwanda and East Timor, Springer Publishers, Heidelberg, Germany, 2005
- 'The Framework of Prosecutions and the Court System in East Timor' in New Approaches in International Criminal Justice, Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany, 2003
- "Defense Practices and the Khmer Rouge Tribunal", in Bohlander, M, Boed, R, Wilsn, R.J, (Eds.) Defense in International Criminal Proceedings, Transitional Publishers Inc., N.Y, 2006
- The Protection of Refugee Witnesses by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda, International Journal of Refugee Law, Volume 14, No.4, May 2003
- The Gulf Wars and Termination of Captivity for Prisoners of War, Revue de Droit International des Sciences Diplomatiques et Politiques (The International Law Review) Jan-Mars 1993, 11-36, Geneva, 1993
- "Death of Dag Hammarskjöld | United Nations Archives". archives.un.org. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "Report of the Search Committee for the Position of the Prosecutor of the International Criminal Court" (PDF). International Criminal Court, Assembly of States Parties | ICC-ASP/10/INF.2/Add.1. pp. 7–8.
- "Serach 'Mohamed Chande Othman'". UN.org.
- "Dag Hammarskjold Plane Crash: Recent Developments". United Nations Association: Westminster Branch UK (UNA Westminster).
- "Lebanon Homepage". Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR).
- "Human Rights Council appoints experts to High-Level Commission of Inquiry into situation in Lebanon". reliefweb. 2006-09-01.
- "Highlight 4 March 2011 | United Nations Secretary-General". www.un.org. 2011-03-04. Retrieved 2018-08-08.
- "UN Expert urges Sudanese Government to investigate recent Attacks on Civilians in Northern Darfur". European Country of Origin Information Network (ecoi.net) | Document ID: 1017428 (former ID 146810) | HR10/150E. 2010-09-14.
- "The challenges of prosecuting and defending war criminals". The Irish Times. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2018-08-09.
- "THE JUDICIARY OF TANZANIA GETS A NEW CHIEF JUSTICE". judiciary.go.tz. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "Kikwete appoints Othman as new Chief Justice". Mwananchi Communications. 27 December 2010. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- "AKU search results for "Othman"". Aga Khan University (AKU).
- "Posts tagged as "Mohamed Chande Othman"". Africa Group for Justice and Accountability - Wayamo Foundation.
- "Africa Group for Justice and Accountability". Facebook.
- Othman, Mohamed (2005). Accountability for International Humanitarian Law Violations: The Case of Rwanda and East Timor. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Publishers Berlin Heidelberg. pp. XIV, 384. ISBN 978-3-540-26081-3.
- Ambos, Kai; Othman, Mohamed Chande (2003). New approaches in international criminal justice : Kosovo, East Timor, Sierra Leone and Cambodia (PDF). Band 11 (Interdisziplinäre Untersuchungen aus Strafrecht und Kriminologie ed.). Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany: Ed. Iuscrim, Max Planck Institute of Foreign and International Criminal Law. pp. 85–112. ISBN 3-86113-057-2.
- "The 'Protection' of Refugee Witnesses by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda". Oxford Academic, International Journal of Refugee Law (Volume 14 | Issue 4 | https://doi.org/10.1093/ijrl/14.4.495 ed.). pp. 495–508. (Registration required (. ))
|This Tanzanian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|