Monica Loughman is an Irish ballet dancer, writer, and television personality. She has featured on Ballet Chancers, a 2008 television series which saw her attempt to train six young people, schooled in hip hop, to appreciate the art of ballet. Loughman has also co-written a book on her experiences as an Irish child in Russia. She has appeared in numerous publications including the Meath Chronicle, The Sunday Business Post and Woman's Way, as well as numerous other television shows such as The Panel, The Podge and Rodge Show, Tubridy Tonight, The Late Late Show many in February 2007.
Loughman left Ireland at the age of fourteen for Perm State Ballet in Russia, becoming one of the few Westerners to dance for the prestigious Perm State Theatre of Opera and Ballet. Monica Loughman is now best known in Ireland for establishing a full time training program for professional ballet. She has created a Company by training indigenous dancers and hiring the support of stars of Russian ballet. Her steady work of ten years, starting with ballet schools, then building a youth company (Irish Youth Russian Ballet) and finally incorporating Monica Loughman Elite Ballet is an inspiration to the international ballet and was featured in the June edition of Dance Europe magazine . Her company is now Ireland's largest ballet training schools and performs -The Nutcracker, Vivaldi Seasons, Giselle and La Sylphide, Monica Loughman Elite Ballet is committed to staging classical main scale ballet throughout Ireland and nurturing a new generation of dancers, choreographers and audiences. In a milestone for her, the Irish Arts Council funded a tour of The Nutcracker to theatres throughout Ireland in 2013.Monica currently trains dancers for a career in ballet. Most recently for young girls have been accepted for an apprenticeship with Russian Ballet Theatre in stPetersburg Russia. She regularly works in Tv appearing in Dancing with the stars on RTE and Big ballet on Channel 4 and Netflix.
Monica Loughman in The Irish Ballerina.
Loughman has co-written a book, The Irish Ballerina, with County Meath-based author, Jean Harrington, who helped the former Dublin prostitute Martina Keogh write her story in Survivor. Published in 2004 by Maverick House Publishers, the book discusses her childhood Russian experiences performing ballet. The book was reviewed in The Meath Chronicle and The Sunday Business Post and Loughman was interviewed for the magazine Woman's Way in December 2004.
On 21 September 2006, Loughman appeared on Dustin's Daily News. Loughman appeared on the twenty-fourth episode of the third season of The Podge and Rodge Show, alongside the celebrity solicitor Gerald Kean on 11 February 2007. On 15 February 2007, she appeared on young chat programme, The Cafe, alongside celebrity weatherman Dáithí Ó Sé and Luan Parle. On 17 February 2007, Loughman appeared on the primetime chat show, Tubridy Tonight, alongside Bill O'Herlihy, Fionnula Flanagan and The Waterboys. On 4 December 2008, Loughman resurrected her sequence of guest appearances when she appeared on The Panel alongside the journalist Niall Stanage.
- "Ballet Chancers". RTÉ. Accessed 14 December 2008.
- "Author Information". Maverick House. Accessed 14 December 2008.
- "Irish Ballerina, The". Maverick House. Accessed 14 December 2008.
- "Meath writer tells Russian tale of an Irish ballerina". The Meath Chronicle. 27 November 2004. Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- "Story dances off the page". The Sunday Business Post. 5 December 2004. Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- "Celeb Chat". Woman's Way. 14 December 2004. Retrieved 14 December 2008.
- DDN 21 September 2006 Archived 2 May 2008 at the Wayback Machine.. RTÉ. Accessed 14 November 2008.
- 15 February 2007. RTÉ. Accessed 7 November 2008.
- "Saturday, 17 February 2007". Tubridy Tonight on RTÉ. Retrieved 3 October 2008.
- "Thursday, 4 December 2008". The Panel on RTÉ. Accessed 18 November 2008.
- Independent - Channel 4's new 'Big Ballet': Defying ballet’s body politics (26 January, 2014)