Monmouth by-election, 1991
The seat had become vacant when the sitting Conservative Member of Parliament (MP), Sir John Stradling Thomas had died at the age of 65 on 29 March 1991. He had held the seat since the 1970 general election.
The result was a victory for the Labour candidate, Huw Edwards, who took the seat on a swing of 12.6%.
However, he was unseated at the 1992 general election by his defeated Conservative opponent Roger Evans, who held the seat until Edwards regained it in the Labour landslide at the 1997 general election .
|Monmouth by-election, 1991|
|Labour||Huw William Edmund Edwards||17,733||39.3||+11.6|
|Conservative||Roger Kenneth Evans||15,327||34.0||−13.5|
|Liberal Democrat||Frances David||11,164||24.8||+0.8|
|Monster Raving Loony||Screaming Lord Sutch||314||0.7||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru (Green)||Melvin John Witherden||277||0.6||N/A|
|Unitax independent||Peter Ronald Carpenter||164||0.4||N/A|
|Corrective Party||Lindi St Clair||121||0.3||N/A|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing||12.6|
|General Election 1987: Monmouth|
|Conservative||John Stradling Thomas||22,387||47.5||+1.6|
|Social Democratic||C. D. Lindley||11,313||24.0||−4.0|
|Plaid Cymru||S. Meredudd||363||0.77||−0.3|
- Monmouth (UK Parliament constituency)
- Monmouth by-election, 1934
- Monmouth by-election, 1939
- Monmouth by-election, 1945
- List of United Kingdom by-elections
- Boothroyd, David. "Results of Byelections in the 1987-92 Parliament". United Kingdom Election Results. Retrieved 2015-10-01.
- 1987 general election results at Richard Kimber's political science resources