Montgomery Central High School
|Montgomery Central High School|
3955 Highway 48|
Cunningham, TN, 37052
|Color(s)||Red and White|
Montgomery Central High School is a high school located in Cunningham, Tennessee, an unincorporated suburban community outside Clarksville. It is part of the Clarksville-Montgomery County School System. It has a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10. The Montgomery Central Middle School is situated on an adjacent site.
The school building was completed around 1970. It is an unusual structure situated on a man-made lake and featuring concrete shell construction. Major renovations and an expansion were begun in 2010 that would maintain and enhance the forty-year-old pod structures. The project is funded with an interest free bond administered under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
In May 2016, the school became the focus of a national controversy when a special-needs autistic student was not able to attend the school's prom with his sister, an alum of Montgomery Central. The sister was 24 years of age, over the age limit of 20 years old. Although the student was invited to stay with the special needs department and student peer mentors, despite not having purchased a ticket, the student and his sister left. The family turned to social media to share the story with the world, but other stories have surfaced, claiming the post written by the student's father was fabricated and gave the school a false image[dubious ].
- "Montgomery Central High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 23, 2017.
- Modern Seeker
- Aerial view
- Clarksville Online, "MCHS held Groundbreaking Ceremony today at Noon", June 8, 2010
- Vioarc Archived 2011-07-17 at the Wayback Machine.
- Ingersoll, Stephanie. "Autistic student leaves prom in tears after sister denied entry". The Leaf-Chronicle. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
- "Autistic student 'humiliated' at prom after sister barred". Fox News. Retrieved 11 May 2016.
|This Tennessee school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Montgomery County, Tennessee geography–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|