|Studio album by|
|Released||26 March 1976|
|Studio||Basing Street Studios, Notting Hill, London|
Moonmadness is the fourth studio album by English progressive rock band Camel. It was released in March 1976 on Decca and Gama Records and is their last album recorded by the group's original line-up of Andrew Latimer, Peter Bardens, Doug Ferguson, and Andy Ward. After reaching success with their previous album, the all instrumental The Snow Goose, the band started on a follow-up and incorporated vocals and lyrics to the new music. Moonmadness has a loose concept with one track based on the personality of each band member. In 2018, Camel performed the album live in its entirety.
Camel's popularity grew in 1975 with their critically acclaimed instrumental album The Snow Goose, which was followed by the group voted Britain's Brightest Hope by readers of the nationwide music publication Melody Maker. In late 1975, the band spent three weeks writing new music for a follow-up album, and recorded Moonmadness in January and February 1976. At the time of release, Latimer said he was very pleased with the album despite the need to rush to finish it.
The last track, "Lunar Sea", ends with a minute-long wind-blowing effect. On some LP pressings, the record arm would skip during the end of this part and naturally return to the beginning of the effect, playing it endlessly (the "terminal groove" effect).
It was voted no. 58 in the Top 100 Prog albums of All Time by readers of 'Prog' magazine in 2014.
Camel performed the album in its entirety on a 2018 tour.
|1.||"Aristillus" (instrumental except for a spoken voice by Andy Ward)||Andrew Latimer||1:56|
|2.||"Song Within a Song"||Latimer, Peter Bardens||7:16|
|3.||"Chord Change" (instrumental)||Latimer, Bardens||6:45|
|4.||"Spirit of the Water"||Bardens||2:07|
|5.||"Another Night"||Latimer, Bardens, Andy Ward, Doug Ferguson||6:58|
|6.||"Air Born"||Latimer, Bardens||5:02|
|7.||"Lunar Sea" (instrumental)||Latimer, Bardens||9:11|
|Bonus tracks on 2002 remaster|
|8.||"Another Night" (Single version)||3:22|
|9.||"Spirit of the Water" (Demo)||2:13|
|10.||"Song Within a Song" (Recorded live at Hammersmith Odeon 14 April 1976)||7:11|
|11.||"Lunar Sea" (Recorded live at Hammersmith Odeon 14 April 1976)||9:51|
|12.||"Preparation/Dunkirk" (Recorded live at Hammersmith Odeon 14 April 1976)||9:32|
- Andrew Latimer – guitars, flute; vocals (5, 6)
- Peter Bardens – keyboards; vocals (4)
- Doug Ferguson – bass; vocals (2)
- Andy Ward – drums, percussion; voice (1)
- Engineered by Rhett Davies
- Original LP cover design by Field
- 1976, UK, Gama Records/Decca Records TXS-R 115, Release Date March 1976, LP
- 2002, UK, London 8829292, Release Date 3 June 2002, CD (remastered edition)
|Dutch Albums (Album Top 100)||16|
|Swedish Albums (Sverigetopplistan)||48|
|UK Albums (OCC)||15|
|Spanish (Superventas Cadena Ser)||21|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Silver||60,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Jehnzen, Daevid (2011). "Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album review at AllMusic". AllMusic.com. Retrieved 24 June 2011.
- Welch, Chris (10 April 1976). "Camel over the mooon". Melody Maker. Retrieved 24 November 2019 – via Rock's Backpages.
- Q Classic: Pink Floyd & The Story of Prog Rock, 2005.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Camel – Moonmadness" (in Dutch). Hung Medien.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Camel – Moonmadness". Hung Medien.
- "Camel | Artist | Official Charts". UK Albums Chart.
- "British album certifications – Camel – Moonmadness". British Phonographic Industry. Select albums in the Format field. Select Silver in the Certification field. Type Moonmadness in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album review by Daevid Jehnzen, credits & releases at AllMusic.com
- Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album releases & credits at Discogs.com
- Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album credits & user reviews at ProgArchives.com
- Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album review by Matthijs van der Lee, credits & user reviews at SputnikMusic.com
- Camel - Moonmadness (1976) album to be listened as stream at Play.Spotify.com