Mostly Water Theatre
Mostly Water Theatre is a Canadian Comedy Award nominated, Edmonton-based Canadian sketch comedy group formed in 2005, consisting of comedians Craig Buchert, Elizabeth Ludwig, Jason Ludwig, Matt Stanton, Sam Varteniuk, and Trent Wilkie.
Before the troupe formed, Craig Buchert and Matt Stanton were working together doing shows at the Edmonton International Fringe Festival, performing in a company called Soiled Sheets Productions. Meanwhile, Sam Varteniuk and Trent Wilkie were performing around Edmonton (along with Elizabeth Ludwig, Corey Taylor and Amy Neufeld) as Mostly Water Theatre (MWT). In 2005, the two pairs met in Edmonton, as suggested by Elizabeth Ludwig, and began performing regularly as MWT along with Jason Ludwig, who shoots and edits all the digital shorts.
Since then, they have produced several original sketch shows and three plays: "I’m Sticking with Kiefer", "15 Minutes", and "Gargamel". "Kiefer" and sketch show "1UP" were honored by SEE Magazine as two of the Best Plays of 2008.
MWT hosted a variety show – Live at the Roxy! – and currently hosts a bi-monthly showcase of digital shorts for local filmmakers – Metro Shorts.
The Irrelevant Show
Mostly Water writes for nationally broadcast The Irrelevant Show on CBC Radio One. Their skit, the "Jane Austen Drinking Game" was a major hit on the show and was described as "a great combination of smart and precise and well-observed, as well as just being loud and foolish."
Mostly Water Live at the Roxy
MWT started producing a set of live variety shows in 2009 called Mostly Water Live at the Roxy. Performed at The Roxy Theatre in Edmonton, the show mixes musical performances, interviews, games, and digital shorts. Past guests include NDP MP Linda Duncan, Mayor of Edmonton Stephen Mandel, and the CBC Radio’s Peter Brown.
Regular features of the variety show included "Name the 80s Sitcom", "Plunko", and a closing musical number performed by MWT.
Since 2007, MWT produces a bi-monthly showcase for local filmmakers called Metro Shorts. Filmmakers are asked to submit five-minute digital shorts which are then shown at Metro Cinema in Edmonton, adjudicated by three celebrity judges, and voted on by the audience. The winner of the evening receives a cash prize and the winner of the season receives a grand prize (in 2009, two tickets anywhere WestJet flies.)
- Best Short (nominated)
Canadian Comedy Awards, 2018. "Here's Video Game News" written by Matt Stanton, performed by Trent Wilkie and Matt Stanton.
- Best Radio Clip (nominated)
Canadian Comedy Awards, 2009. "Witch Smoke" written by Matt Stanton, performed by Mark Meer and Marianne Copithorne.
- May 22, 2010
- Guests: MLA Laurie Blakeman, Jane Heather, Jill Pollock
- April 24, 2010
- Guests: Former Edmonton Councillor Michael Phair, Chris Craddock, James Murdoch (Canadian singer-songwriter)
- December 19, 2009
- October 24, 2009
Plays and Sketch Shows
- 2UP: Second Player 
- Reality Cheque: Live @ the Roxy! (Host: Trevor Schmidt, Music: The Bud and Yolanda Experience) 
- A Ronnie Jimmie Christmas: Live @ the Roxy! (Host: Peter Brown, Music: The Wheat Pool)
- Gargamel (written by Trent Wilkie)
- Mostly Water Hockey: Live @ the Roxy! (Host: Mark Meer, Music: F&M)
- Mostly Water Girl Party: Live @ the Roxy! (Host: Stephanie Wolfe, Music: Ariane Mahryke Lemire)
- 15 Minutes (written by Sam Varteniuk)
- A Mostly Water Christmas: Live @ the Roxy! (Host: Chris Craddock, Music: The Wheat Pool)
- I’m Sticking with Kiefer (written by Sam Varteniuk)
- XXXmas 4: The Re-Gifting
- Dreamscape Redemption Classes
- Woah Woah Woah, Hold on a Minute, Wait Just a Second, There’s Way Too Much Butter on That
- XXXmas 3: Good King WTF
- How to Not Suck
- The Science of Funny
- XXXmas 2: Fa-la-la-la-la La-la-luck Off
- XXXmas: Silent Night, Holy Shit
- WetWare Preview[permanent dead link]
- I'm Sticking With Kiefer Preview Archived 2012-11-07 at the Wayback Machine.
- 15 Minutes Review
- Gargamel Preview
- SEE’s Best Plays of 2008 Archived February 24, 2012, at the Wayback Machine.
- 1UP Review
- Intellivision Lives: Grand Theft Auto for Intellivision[permanent dead link]
- TLC Spoof on The Huffington Post
- Brown Champions Local Talent
- Jane Austen Drinking Game rules
- Peter Brown’s Five Rules of Funny Archived 2012-02-24 at the Wayback Machine.
- SEE 1UP Review Archived 2009-04-18 at the Wayback Machine.
- 2009 Canadian Comedy Awards Nominees
- Tis The Season For Variety Archived 2012-03-09 at the Wayback Machine.
- Mostly Water Enlists MP
- Mostly Water Theatre Broadening its Horizons
- Edmonton Journal Metro Digital Shorts
- Canadian Comedy Awards Nominations
- Sketches win Comedy Nods
- Mostly Water Theatre Website
- "Theatre Network Website". Archived from the original on 2013-01-15. Retrieved 2012-09-08.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Mostly Water Theatre.|
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Mostly Water Theatre|