Mubarak Ali Gilani
||The neutrality of this article is disputed. (March 2015)|
Mubarik Ali Shah Gilani (Mubarik Ali Shah Jilani) (Arabic: مبارك علي شاه الجيلاني), (Farsi, Urdu: مبارك علي شاه گيلانى) is a Sheikh from the Ahlul-Bayt who descends directly from the lineage of Shaykh Abdul-Qadir Al-Jilani, and founder of the The Muslims of America. He is also the founder of the International Quranic Open University. With full titles his name appears as His Eminence, El-Sheikh Syed Mubarik Ali Shah El-Gillani Al-Qadri, El-Hashimi, El-Hassani wa El-Husseini (Arabic: الشيخ سيد مبارك علي شاه الجيلاني، القادري، الحسني والحسيني، الهاشمي).
|This article is missing information about Biographical information: place and date of birth, education, current residence, etc.. (May 2015)|
International Quranic Open University
The International Qur'anic Open University is a premier institute for the intensive, in-depth study of Holy Quran, Islamic traditions and Sufic Sciences with a strong emphasis on the upholding & practice of Holy Quran and the Sunnah.
The Muslims of America
The Muslims of America, Inc. was founded in 1980 by Gilani on a trip to New York. Among other projects it has model communities in the Town of Hancock, New York, called Islamberg, and in York County, South Carolina, called Holy Islamville.
In 1978, Gilani published An Introduction to Quranic Psychology, which detailed, according to him, proofs upon scientific evidence and witnessing about using the Qur'an (Koran) and religious observance to cure certain mental disorders. This was followed up by his An introduction to psychiatry: based on teaching of the Holy Quran and also contains results of scientific demonstration of curing incurable mental diseases in the Psychiatric Institute, Taif, Saudi Arabia, 1976–1977 published in 1981.
In 1983 he published an edited and revised edition of Rauzatus-Safa, an influential 15th Century history volume set beginning with the creation of the Jinn and Adam all the way up to the Temurid dynasty of Islamic history. Rauzatus-Safa has recently been edited, revised, and re-published in 2014, hardcover.
Allegations and refutation re terrorist association
"In regard to the name, they say MOA is a front for Jamaat al Fuqra. They try to keep bringing this name Jamaat al Fuqra, but we don’t acknowledge it. Can our enemies show me, in my own writing, where I said I established Jamaat al Fuqra or its offices here in Pakistan or in America?" ... "None ever called themselves Jamaat ul Fuqra"
Daniel Pearl was on his way to interview Gilani when he was abducted. Pearl wanted to interview him regarding a fabricated connection between Gilani and the "Shoe Bomber" Richard Reid. Gilani was questioned in Pakistan concerning the abduction but subsequently released. The Federal Bureau of Investigators (FBI) also cleared his name of any such involvement. FBI Special Agent Kathy Diskin: "I had the opportunity to sit down and interview with Sheikh Gilani. And when 15 minutes went into the interview, our feelings were that Sheikh Gilani was not involved in this".
View on terrorism
In a 2002 interview Gilani said that he believed the jinn to be a greater danger to America than terrorism:
Human beings can be made to do things against their will. They can be made to commit crimes. They can made to go and kill people. You know? And all your missiles, all your rockets, space ships go up. And electronics, they can be damaged, influenced, and misdirected through the agencies of jinn beings.
- "El-Sheikh Jilani" iqou-moa.org
- Jilani, Mubarik Ali (1976) An introduction to Quranic psychologyQuranic Research Institute, Lahore, Pakistan, OCLC 18490762
- Jilani, Mubarik Ali (1981) An introduction to psychiatry: based on teaching of the Holy Quran and also contains results of scientific demonstration of curing incurable mental diseases in the Psychiatric Institute, Taif, Saudi Arabia, 1976–1977 Zavia Books for the Quranic Research Institute of Pakistan, Lahore, Pakistan, OCLC 18490762
- Rauzatus-Safā fi Sīrat-ul-Ambiyā wal-Mulūk wal-Khulafā (The Gardens of Purity concerning the biography of the Prophets and Kings and Caliphs) by Syed Muhammad ibn Khawandshah ibn Mahmud Al-Hussaini, an historian also known as Mirkhwand, originally published in Persian in seven volumes in the year 1417 C.E. (836 A.H.), OCLC 11220401
- "Daily Press Briefing March 27, 2002", U.S. Department of State], archived at http://web.archive.org/web/20021101144422/http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/dpb/2002/9025.htm by Internet Archive as of 1 November 2002
- Gilani, El-Sheikh Mubarik Ali. "IQOU Vice Chancellor Presents Historic Evidence of Situations Created to Cast Islam as the Enemy". The Islamic Post. Islamic Post. Retrieved 10 March 2012.
- "Made in the U.S.A.", USNews, 10 June 2002.
- "The Odd Ordeal of Daniel Pearl", Time, 11 February 2002
- Amanpour, Christiane. "The Journalist and the Jihadi". CNN.com. CNN News. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "US Officer Clears Sheikh Gilani in Daniel Pearl Murder Case". canadafreepress.com. Canada Free Press.
- "Sheik Gilani: CBS' Man In Pakistan Tracks Him Down", CBS News, March 13, 2002