||This article provides insufficient context for those unfamiliar with the subject. Learn how and when to remove this template message) (January 2015) (|
|Native name||مبشر لقمان|
|Born||Lahore, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Education||Lahore Grammar School, Gujjrat|
|Occupation||News Anchor and Journalist|
Career and family
Mubashir Luqman started his career as a film producer/director and then turned to journalism. He initially appeared on Dunya News in 2009 where he hosted a current affairs program Khari Baat Luqman Ke Saath. However he was fired in June 2012 when off air scenes of his prescripted interview with Malik Riaz surfaced on YouTube.
He then joined ARY News hosting Kharra Such, through which he revealed lies of multiple politicians. His outspoken criticism cost ARY and the channel was cut off. Luqman went to court. After winning the case, he relaunched the show on the newly launched TV channel Bol News. The network was soon banned because other channels couldn't provide such facilities and status to their employees as BOL channel was doing. Lucman started hosting Khara Sach on Channel 24 in 2015.Now he works on bol news
Planted interview of Malik Riaz
He stirred a controversy when his off-air discussion with real estate tycoon Malik Riaz, whom he was about to interview on air in Dunya TV, was leaked on the internet.
On 7 June 2012, Pakistani real estate investor Malik Riaz secretly approached Pakistan's leading news channels and shared detailed information including videos, documents and receipts documenting the transfer of ₨. 340–400 million (about $3.7 million) to businessman Arsalan Iftikhar. Iftikhar is the son of the Chief Justice Iftikhar Mohammad Chaudhry. Riaz claimed that payments were made to Iftikhar over several years to influence Supreme court cases and National Accountability Bureau (NAB) investigations. Riaz's statements were confirmed by leading lawyer, Aitzaz Ahsan, who claimed to know the existence of such meetings and payments, and shared this information with the Chief Justice. Riaz also alleged that between 2009 and 2011, Iftikhar sponsored his trips to London with credit cards to be used at his discretion.
On 15 June 2012, footage showing Dunya News anchors Mubashir lukman and Meher Bukhari talking to Malik Riaz during their show surfaced on YouTube under the title Malik Riaz Planted Interview with Mehar Bokhari and Mubashir Lukman on Dunya Tv. The show aired on the TV channel on Wednesday. In an attempt at damage control, Dunya's management registered a criminal case against "unidentified" people responsible for publicizing the footage. On 16 June 2012, PEMRA and the Supreme Court launched an investigation headed by two supreme court justices. The Court issued legal notices to Dunya News and its political correspondents on 29 June 2012.
The interview of former spokesman of ISPR Major General Athar Abbas against General Kayani was also a part of the program.
Portrayals in popular culture
Luqman has been portrayed in English language popular culture a number of times including:
- In the novel "The Scriptwriter" it is implied that the news channel BSZ News anchor is Mubashir Luqman who delivers a pro-PTI speech in his TV show during the Azadi March movement.
- Dawn.Com (7 June 2012). "A strange case of conspiracies and conspiracy theories". Dawn News, 2012 report. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- News Desk (12 June 2012). "Over Rs 340m spent on Dr Arsalan to win favorable verdicts: Malik Riaz". Awaz Television. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Popalzov, Shaheryar (14 June 2012). "Video leak: Lucman, Bokhari run 'planted show' with Malik Riaz". Tribune Express, First. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Umer Nangiana, Nangiana (16 June 2012). "'Anchorgate': Criminal case lodged against Dunya TV whistleblowers". DUnya. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- Qamar Zaman (16 June 2012). "TEX (Planted' TV interview: Two-judge panel to probe off-air clips". TEX (Planted' TV interview: Two-judge panel to probe off-air clips. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- By Our Correspondent (: 29 June 2012). "Mediagate': Notices issued to Dunya TV, real-estate tycoon". Tribune Express (TEX). Retrieved 8 February 2013. Check date values in:
- Shabbir,, Farrukh (14 June 2012). "A list of 19 journalists allegedly bribed by Malik Riaz". Aaj TV report. Retrieved 8 February 2013.
- "Mubashir Lucman Fired From Dunya News". Awami Web.
- Mubashir Luqman-Mehr Bokhari fiasco: Naseem Zehra quits Dunya TV
- "Amazon.com: The Scriptwriter eBook: Adeerus Ghayan: Kindle Store".