|Single by Above the Law|
|from the album Livin' Like Hustlers|
|Released||February 8, 1990|
|Format||12-inch single, CD single|
|Genre||West Coast hip hop, hardcore hip hop, G-funk, gangsta rap|
|Label||Ruthless Records, Epic Records|
|Songwriter(s)||Cold 187um, Dr. Dre, Go Mack, Laylaw, Total Kaos|
|Producer(s)||Dr. Dre, Eazy-E & Laylaw|
|Above the Law singles chronology|
Music and lyrics
The music of "Murder Rap", as produced by Dr. Dre, consists of an ominous siren sound, and backwards, looped drum beats. Allmusic's Alex Henderson says that the song's lyrics "let listeners know exactly what life in South Central was like."
In his Allmusic review, Alex Henderson wrote that "The imaginative Dre's input as a producer is consistently beneficial", saying that the music "comes alive" as a result of Dr. Dre's input. Regarding Above the Law's lyrical content, Henderson wrote, "the Angelenos had some freshness." A review of the song by Frank Owen in Spin praised Dr. Dre's production, saying that the producer "has a remarkable talent for making noise funky, and he shows it to great effect". However, Owen criticized Above the Law as lyricists, writing, "they present this hardcore life without any of the dandy charm that Big Daddy Kane or Oran 'Juice' Jones bring to it." Vibe praised the song as "a breathtaking assembly", complimenting the music and Cold 187um's raps.
In 1998, the song was included on the compilation Ruthless Records Tenth Anniversary: Decade of Game. In 2002, Insane Clown Posse released a cover of the song on their album The Wraith: Shangri-La. This version of the song appeared as the B-side of ICP's single "Hell's Forecast". In 2006, ICP's cover was remixed for The Wraith: Remix Albums by Filthee Immigrants. Insane Clown Posse's cover of the song led to a professional relationship between ICP and Cold 187um, and he later signed to Psychopathic Records as a solo rapper.
- "Murder Rap"
- "Murder Rap" (Instrumental)
- "Another Execution"
- "Another Execution" (Instrumental)
- "Murder Rap - Above the Law | Credits | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Murder Rap - Above the Law | Listen, Appearances, Song Review | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- Vibe. Vibe Media Group. p. 76. ISSN 1070-4701. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Livin' Like Hustlers - Above the Law | Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- SPIN. SPIN Media LLC. p. 84. ISSN 0886-3032. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Murder Rap - Insane Clown Posse | Listen, Appearances, Song Review | AllMusic". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.
- "Big Hutch Interview - 3/9/12 on Vimeo". vimeo.com. Retrieved 2014-10-24.