This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ronald H. Gertz, Esq.Douglas J. Brainin
|Headquarters||Woodland Hills, Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Ronald H. Gertz
Douglas J. Brainin
William B. Colitre
Kate J. Cross
Licensing and Administration
SaaS Development and Hosting
Number of employees
Music Reports is a Delaware corporation that serves individuals and organizations seeking expertise and solutions in music rights licensing, administration, royalty accounting, and related SaaS development and hosting. It was founded in 1995.
Music Reports was established to enable local television broadcasters seeking alternatives to the rigid blanket licensing structures offered by BMI and ASCAP. Music Reports developed a "per program license" following administration service to collect and process television station schedules and revenues, and to automate report preparation and submission to the PROs. Following the signing of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in 1998, Music Reports initiated a program of copyright licensing for digital music services including through a sister company called Royalty Logic, Inc. In doing so, the company played a significant role in the development of streaming services, both interactive and non-interactive.
Overview of current services
Music Reports provides services in the following areas:
- Administration of American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers, Broadcast Music Incorporated and SESAC per program licenses for television broadcasters and OTT services.
- Synchronization, master and performing rights licensing for broadcasters, film and television producers, cable programming services, OTT services, and streaming music services.
- Enterprise-level licensing and royalty accounting services for digital media services, mobile device and carrier clients and content owners including via BPO and SaaS models.
- Copyright research for users of sound recordings and musical compositions.
Music Reports has compiled and maintains SONGDEX, a proprietary database of over 70 million sound recordings and related musical compositions, publishers, composers, and related payment information. Music Reports currently serves as a per program license administrator for over 450 local television stations in the United States including many owned by ABC, CBS and NBC. The company undertakes music rights clearances, licensing and accounting for digital and background music services such as Amazon, Deezer, Guvera, Microsoft, Omnifone, PlayNetwork, SiriusXM, Slacker, and SoundCloud. Music Reports provides copyright research, licensing and strategic consulting expertise to established and emerging content and technology businesses such as HSN and QVC, as well as American Greetings and other consumer products companies.
- Delaware Secretary of State Entity Search - Division of Corporations
- Billboard Biz Article: Future of Music Article: Will Artists Lose Royalties From Satellite Radio? August 11, 2011
- Billboard Biz Article: Sirius XM Attempting to License Directly From Labels August 11, 2011
- Billboard Biz Article: Music Publishers, RIAA To Continue Royalty Negotiations September 16, 2009
- Billboard Biz Article: Court Declines To Rule On CRB July 10,2009
- Billboard Biz Article: Federal Appeals Court Considers Motion Against CRB Judges Judges March 19, 2009