My Name Is Jonas
|"My Name Is Jonas"|
|Song by Weezer|
|from the album Weezer (The Blue Album)|
|Released||May 10, 1994|
|Recorded||August–September 1993 at Electric Lady Studios, NYC|
|Genre||Alternative rock, power pop, pop punk|
|Songwriter(s)||Rivers Cuomo, Patrick Wilson, Jason Cropper|
"My Name Is Jonas" is a song by alternative rock band Weezer. It is the first track of the band's self-titled 1994 debut album, also known as The Blue Album. It was written by vocalist Rivers Cuomo, drummer Patrick Wilson and guitarist Jason Cropper, and produced by Ric Ocasek. Cropper wrote the song's acoustic intro; it is his only Weezer songwriting credit, as he left the band before the release of its first album.
The song was inspired by Cuomo's brother, who was having insurance problems after a car crash. According to Cuomo, the song "explains how The Plan is reaming us all, especially my brother."
Melissa Bobbitt at About.com named "My Name is Jonas" the seventh best Weezer song, writing that its lyric "the workers are going home" was "a righteous way to kick off a weekend". Michael Gallucci from Diffuser named it the third best Weezer song. In his 2010 book Music: What Happened?, Scott Miller describes the song as "musicality everywhere, theatrical dynamics, little golden lyric details where the subplot reveals the whole mood."
In other media
- Rivers Cuomo – lead vocals, lead guitar, harmonica, rhythm guitar
- Patrick Wilson – drums
- Brian Bell – backing vocals
- Matt Sharp – bass, backing vocals
- Ric Ocasek – producer
- Chris Shaw - engineer
- Luerssen D., John. Rivers' Edge: The Weezer Story. ECW Press, 2004, ISBN 1-55022-619-3 p. 61
- Luerssen D., John, 2004 p. 110–111
- "Top 13 Weezer Songs". About.com. The New York Times Company. June 11, 2014. Retrieved July 11, 2014.
- Michael Gallucci (2013-01-20). "10 Best Weezer Songs". Diffuser. Retrieved 2014-08-15.
- Music: What Happened? - Scott Miller - Google Books. 125 Records. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Holden, Tom (October 2007). "Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock: Rock Your Way to the Top". Independent PlayStation Magazine (128): 26.
- Tom Semioli. "Rock Music: A Tribute to Weezer - Various Artists - Songs, Reviews, Credits, Awards - AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved December 30, 2014.