NBA Courtside 2002
|NBA Courtside 2002|
North American box art
|Developer(s)||Left Field Productions|
NBA Courtside 2002 is a basketball video game developed by Left Field Productions and published by Nintendo for the Nintendo GameCube in 2002. It is the third and final installment in the NBA Courtside series and the sequel to NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant on the Nintendo 64.
The player can customize their team and players, from their statistical attributes to their names and faces. There is a practice gameplay mode as well as a mode to compete against other teams.
The game was first released in the United States. The European release followed three weeks later. Left Field, the developer, was not expected to work with Nintendo again after this release.
Overall, NBA Courtside 2002 received positive feedback from outlets, receiving a 7.6 out of 10 from GameSpot a 4 out of 5 from Nintendo Power and Game Informer saying "It's a pretty rocking title that can hang with the b-ball big boys". The game did receive criticism; IGN had issues with the game's artificial intelligence and GameSpy said the "Skills Mode" was "nothing to spend too much time on".
NBA Courtside 2002 has sold over 120,000 copies since its release.
Tom Bramwell of Eurogamer described the game as having great depth and completely outclassing its competitor, NBA Live 2002. He wrote that the game highlighted what Electronic Arts was missing from their own basketball games. In addition to matching their statistical accuracy, Bramwell felt that NBA Courtside was a better simulation and offered an "arcade mode" that competed with the scope of the also-praised NBA Street. Bramwell praised the graphics, gameplay, artificial intelligence, and ball physics. He had particular praise for the sound effects' level of detail.
- Bramwell, Tom (2002-05-28). "NBA Courtside 2002 Review // GC /// Eurogamer". Eurogamer. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "NBA Courtside 2002 Reviews". Game Rankings. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "NBA Courtside 2002 (cube: 2002): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- ニンテンドーゲームキューブ - NBAコートサイド 2002. Weekly Famitsu. No.915 Pt.2. Pg.98. 30 June 2006.
- Ahmed, Shahed (2002-01-14). "NBA Courtside 2002 for GameCube Review - GameCube NBA Courtside 2002 Review". GameSpot. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- Clollins, Derek. "GameSpy.com - Reviews: NBA Courtside 2002 (GameCube)". GameSpy. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- Mirabella, Fran III (2002-01-23). "IGN: NBA Courtside 2002 Review". IGN.com. Retrieved 2008-05-04.
- "Sales Numbers to end all sales numbers Archive - Xbox 360 & Xbox Forums". Retrieved 2008-05-04.