|England, Wales and Northern Ireland|
NEAB (Northern Examinations and Assessment Board) was an examination board serving England, Wales and Northern Ireland until it was dissolved and incorporated into the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA). It has ever since been part of AQA.
NEAB was formed by the merger of the Joint Matriculation Board (JMB) and the Northern Examining Association (NEA), which itself was an alliance of the Associated Lancashire Schools Examining Board, the Northern Regional Examinations Board, the North West Regional Examinations Board and the Yorkshire and Regional Examinations Board.
The board offered a variety of GCSE, A Level and other qualifications. Despite its name, schools in England, Wales and Northern Ireland were able to choose any of the examination boards and NEAB established itself as the biggest board in the UK.
As boards across Britain began to dissolve and merge, NEAB entered into an alliance with AEB/SEG and City & Guilds known as the Assessment and Qualifications Alliance (AQA). At the beginning of the alliance, examination papers were dual-branded with both the AQA and NEAB names on the papers and the corresponding examination certificates featured just the AQA name. Soon, NEAB and AEB/SEG (but not City & Guilds) formally merged under the name Assessment and Qualifications Alliance/AQA. As NEAB and AEB/SEG overlapped in the qualifications they offered, AQA retained two specifications for many subjects and do until this day, with schools able to choose between the two.
Incorporated Examination Boards
- Associated Lancashire Schools Examinations Board (ALSEB)
- Joint Matriculation Board (JMB)
- Northern Examining Association (NEA)
- Northern Examinations and Assessment Board (NEAB)
- North Regional Examinations Board (NREB)
- North West Regional Examinations Board (NWREB)
- North West Secondary Schools Examinations Board (NWSSEB)
- The West Yorkshire and Lindsey Regional Examinations Board (TWYLREB)
- Yorkshire and Humberside Regional Examinations Board (YHREB)
- Yorkshire Regional Examinations Board (YREB)