NFLPA Collegiate Bowl
|NFLPA Collegiate Bowl|
|National vs. American (18–17)|
|National vs. American|
The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is a post-season college football game for NFL draft-eligible college players. The event was founded in 2012 by the National Football League Players Association. The NFLPA Collegiate Bowl is held yearly at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
In January 2012, the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA) founded the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl after sponsoring the Texas vs the Nation game in previous years. The inaugural NFLPA Collegiate Bowl was open to NFL draft-eligible underclassmen players but, beginning with the second annual event, only draft-eligible seniors were allowed to participate.
The event was established in part to prepare draft-eligible college football players for a career in the NFL. During the week preceding the game, the NFLPA provides an introduction to the players union and educates players on the business side of an NFL career. Current and former NFL players are invited to attend the week's events to share their NFL experiences with the draft eligible players. The NFLPA also hosts community-focused events including a youth football clinic.
The inaugural NFLPA Collegiate Bowl was held on January 21, 2012 and broadcast on the NBC Sports Network. Former NFL coaches Dick Vermeil and Tom Flores coached the National and American teams respectively. The National team won the game 20-14. Following the game, G.J. Kinne was named MVP. The second annual NFLPA Collegiate Bowl was held on January 19, 2013. Prior to the game, the NFLPA and ESPN signed a multiyear agreement to air the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl on the ESPN Network. The game was broadcast on ESPN2 and, as part of the agreement, some of the practices leading up to the event were aired on ESPNU. Dick Vermeil returned to coach the National team and Herm Edwards was selected to coach the American team. The National team won the game 34–0 and Dayne Crist was named MVP.
|Date||Winning team||Losing team||National coach||American coach||Notes|
|January 21, 2012||National||20||American||14||Dick Vermeil||Tom Flores|||
|January 19, 2013||National||34||American||0||Dick Vermeil||Herman Edwards|||
|January 18, 2014||National||31||American||17||Dick Vermeil||Dennis Green|
|January 17, 2015||National||17||American||0||Mike Martz||Mike Holmgren|
|January 23, 2016||National||18||American||17||Mike Martz||Mike Holmgren|
|January 21, 2017||TBA||TBA|
|2012||G. J. Kinne||QB||Tulsa|
|2014||J. C. Copeland||RB||LSU|
- Matt Verderame (19 January 2013). "NFLPA Collegiate Bowl 2013 rosters: Jordan Rodgers and Marquise Goodwin stand out". SB Nation. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Josh Alper (7 November 2011). "NFLPA will hold pre-draft game in Los Angeles". Reuters. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Tom Hoffarth (15 January 2013). "Q&A with Dick Vermeil: Former UCLA, NFL coach becomes teacher again with NFLPA Collegiate Bowl". San Gabriel Valley Tribune. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "National team wins NFLPA Collegiate Bowl". Associated Press. 21 January 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- "NFLPA Bowl Welcomes Winnol as Presenting Sponsor" (Press release). NFLPA. 17 January 2013. Retrieved 30 May 2013.
- Peter Berkes (18 December 2012). "ESPN, NFLPA announce multiyear agreement for Collegiate Bowl". SB Nation. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- Liz Mullen (7 December 2011). "NBC Sports Network to carry AstroTurf NFLPA collegiate Bowl". Sports Business Journal. Retrieved 5 June 2013.
- "NFLPA Collegiate Bowl to return". Associated Press. 4 October 2012. Retrieved 29 May 2013.
- Patrick Vint (20 January 2013). "NFLPA Collegiate Bowl 2013: Dayne Crist named NFLPA Collegiate Bowl MVP". SB Nation. Retrieved 29 May 2013.