Nanuet Senior High School
|This article does not cite any sources. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nanuet Senior High School
The John P. Burke Building
|Nanuet, New York
|School district||Nanuet Union Free School District|
|Principal||Vincent Carella, Ed.D.|
|Number of students||grades 9-12|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Affiliations||Section 1 (NYSPHSAA)|
Nanuet Senior High School is a public high school located in Nanuet, New York. It is formally known as "Nanuet Senior High School: The John P. Burke Building," named after the school's long-time principal. The Nanuet Senior High School houses grades 9 - 12. Its leadership team consists of a Principal and an Assistant Principal. In addition there are four guidance counselors, a Dean, a nurse, a student assistance counselor, a psychologist, a School Resource Officer, and department chairpersons. It is also a National Blue Ribbon School
Nanuet's comprehensive program offers courses in Art, English, French, Health, Math, Music, Physical Education, Science, Social Studies, Spanish and Technology. These can lead to Advanced Regents Diplomas, Regents Diplomas, Regents Diplomas with Honor, and Local Diplomas. Courses are offered at the Advanced Placement, Honors, Regents, and Standard Level. There are Advanced Placement courses in English, Calculus, Biology, European History, US History, French, Spanish, Music Theory, and Studio Art which may lead to college credit. Students may also earn college credit for work in Macroeconomics as well as in Public Affairs.
Programs for the students with learning disabilities are offered in special classes and resource rooms; remedial services are offered in math, reading, speech, and writing. A functional Life Skills program is provided for developmentally challenged youth including an in-house retail vocational program.
A rich array of extra-curricular offerings is available. This includes Technology Club, Fall Plays and Spring Musicals, Debate Club, Academic League, Audio-Visual Squad, Jazz Band, Model U.N., Math League, SADD, Science Olympiad, Sports, Student Senate, VAASA, and Yearbook. It also offers the innovative Leadership Exchange Network for Students (LENS), which develops leadership abilities and community service.
Athletic teams are usually referred to as the "Nanuet Golden Knights."
- Cross Country
- Field Hockey (girls)
- Volleyball (girls)
- Track and Field
- Wrestling (boys)
- Softball (girls)
- Baseball (boys)
- Charlie Adler: Best known for his work on such cartoons as Tiny Toons and Rocko's Modern Life.
- Martin Bell:   Has been honored with 16 Emmy Awards and a George Foster Peabody Award  for his work on 9/11. Best known for his 20 years on Monday Night Football.
- Rich Conklin: Coach of Football team for many years, winner of county, section and NYS championships. Currently Assistant Coach at Clarkstown High School South.
- Ron Hansen: Member of Board of Education. President Rockland BOCES. Involved in local government and community.
- James Maritato: professional wrestler best known for his work with World Wrestling Entertainment and Extreme Championship Wrestling.
- Ronald Thomas (cellist): American classical cellist
- Scott Wittman: best known for his work as a director, lyricist, and writer for Broadway, concerts, and television.