Glover at the Emerson Alumni Hall in September 2008
|Provost of the University of Florida|
Assumed office |
July 1, 2008
|Preceded by||Janie Fouke|
|Dean of the University of Florida College of Liberal Arts and Sciences|
January 1, 2007 – July 1, 2008
|Preceded by||Neil Sullivan|
|Succeeded by||Paul D'Anieri|
University of California, San Diego
Glover attended Cornell University for his bachelor's degree, and he received his Master's and Doctorate in Mathematics from the University of California, San Diego. Glover began his academic career at University of California, Berkeley, and he would go on to serve as an Assistant Professor at the University of Rochester from 1979-1982.
University of Florida
In 1982, Glover joined the faculty at the University of Florida. In 1987 he was promoted to full Professor, and served as Chairman of the Department of Mathematics from 1993-1998. Glover then served as the Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. In 2001, he was named Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, and then was promoted in interim dean of College of Liberal Arts and Science in 2006, and he served in this capacity for the 2007-2008 academic year. Then in July 2008, Dr. Joseph Glover was appointed Provost of the University of Florida.
In September 2010, Glover pitched an idea to the Florida Board of Governors to give incoming UF students the option of taking classes during the spring and summer terms only, bypassing the fall semester, to ease the strain on its crowded facilities. He described it as a "productive, efficient way to admit more students to a university for which there is high-demand".
Glover is the leading proponent of an effort by the University of Florida to institute block tuition, in replacement of having students pay by credit hour. Under one proposal, students would be charged a flat-rate fee analogous to 15 credits for full-time undergraduate students regardless if they take 12, 15 or 18 credits. Charging market-rate tuition for distance-education graduate students is also a part of the plan. Glover believes block tuition is the "way it should be," believing it would financially benefit students taking a heavy load of classes, cost slightly more for those taking fewer classes, could help increase UF’s graduation rate, and open up spots for students who might otherwise be turned away under enrollment limits. Glover made a statement saying "a student who spends more time here is taking up a spot that a student waiting in the wings is waiting to have." Glover estimates that the switch will generate a “small” revenue boost of about $4 million of extra recurring revenue, which would be reinvested in the form of adding sections to classes and hiring faculty to accommodate more students.
- Bachelor's degree in Mathematics from Cornell University in 1974.
- Master's degree in Mathematics from the University of California, San Diego in 1977.
- Doctorate in Mathematics from the University of California, San Diego in 1978.
- "About the Provost - Academic Affairs". www.aa.ufl.edu. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "Office of the Chancellor" (PDF). chancellor.utk.edu. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2012-02-13. Retrieved 2016-05-25.
- "U of Fla. proposal to ease crowding: No fall classes? - USATODAY.com". www.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- "The Florida Board of Governors might allow UF and other state universities to implement block tuition and fees". Gainesville.com. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Writer, Joey Flechas, Alligator Staff. "UF officials explain tuition proposal". The Independent Florida Alligator. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Board, The Alligator Editorial. "Block the block: Proposed tuition change is unfair for students". The Independent Florida Alligator. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Writer, Joey Flechas, Alligator Staff. "Highest education board to discuss block tuition". The Independent Florida Alligator. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Writer, Joey Flechas, Alligator Staff. "Board makes next step toward UF block tuition". The Independent Florida Alligator. Retrieved 2016-05-26.
- Official website
- Alligator story discussing Dr. Glover's appointment
- Dr. Glover's CV
- Additional info about Glover - University of Florida Office of the Provost
- Dr. Glover named interim dean of CLAS
| Dean of the University of Florida College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
| Provost of the University of Florida