National Centre for Science Information
|This article does not cite any sources. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
National Centre for Science Information (NCSI) is the information centre of Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, that provides electronic information services to the Institute academic community. The Centre also undertakes sponsored R&D projects and conducts a training programme on Information and Knowledge Management. NCSI was established in 1983, as a University Grants Commission (India) Inter-University Centre (IUC). Formerly, as UGC-IUC for science information, NCSI provided national level current awareness services to researchers in Indian universities during 1984 to 2002.
NCSI provides variety of electronic information services to the IISc scholars. These include:
- Intranet and Internet access to world's leading bibliographic databases;
- Gateway services for electronic journals and open access resources on the Internet;
- Customized web access through MySciGate portal;
- Document delivery services.
SciGate: The IISc Science Information Portal
All the services provided by NCSI are integrated via the Scigate: The IISc Science Information Portal. SciGate is a science information portal and gateway website developed for the use of students, staff and faculty of IISc. SciGate provides single point access to a variety of locally hosted and Internet-based science, engineering, medicine and management information resources. Portion of content on SciGate (open sources, InfoWatch, IISc Publications) and E-JIS (free e-journals) are freely accessible on the Internet.
NCSI also publishes a monthly electronic newsletter InfoWatch reporting new Internet resources of relevance to Science and Technology researchers.
Other services of NCSI include
- ePrints@IISc (Open Access Repository of IISc Research Publications)
- etd@IISc (Electronic Theses and Dissertations of IISc)
- e-JIS (Electronic Journal Information Service)
Training Programme on Information and Knowledge Management
NCSI conducts a one-and-half year postgraduate training programme on Information and Knowledge Management. The selected candidates are imparted knowledge and skills in setting up and managing e-information services, digital libraries and knowledge management solutions. The 18 months programme includes course work, assignments, lab work, seminars, and an eight months project. Science Information
NCSI also operates a moderated, free discussion forum (List service) [LIS-Forum] for library & information professionals.
This is another global discussion forum maintained by NCSI for Knowledge Management (KM). It is a platform for knowledge management professionals to discuss all KM related topics.
NCSI-Net is a group of all NCSI staff and alumni formed for the professional development of its members. One of the major event conducted by NCSI-Net is Dr. T B Rajashekar (TBR) Memorial annual seminar and lecture series.
- Homepage of NCSI
- Official website of Indian Institute of Science.
- Scigate: The IISc Science Information Portal
- ePrints@IISc: Open Access Repository of IISc Research Publications.
- etd@IISc: Electronic Theses and Dissertations of IISc.
- e-JIS: Electronic Journal Information Service.
- LIS-Forum - Discussion Forum for Library and Information Professionals.
- KM-Forum - Global discussion forum for Knowledge Management
- NCSI-Net - the Network of NCSI Staff and Alumni
- Dr. T B Rajashekar (TBR) Memorial Annual Seminar and Lecture Series
- Training Programme on Information and Knowledge Management.