National Institute of Polar Research (Japan)
Research Centers in the NIPR
The NIPR has several research centers on Antarctica topics. Among others there are meteorological, geological, glacier motion, life science, ice dynamics, etc. Since 1969 the NIPR started collecting meteorites. Their Meteorite Collection contains almost 17000 specimens of meteorites - one of the world's largest meteorite collection. The Antarctic meteorite research in the United States is guided by ANSMET.
Planetary Science Education
The NIPR Antarctic Meteorite Research Center loans a set of 30 thin sections of various meteorite types. The Institute prepared 20 sets of this collection. They were used in several European countries, too: in Hungary, Romania, Denmark, Belgium. In the set students can study the most interesting meteorite types. Even Lunar and Martian meteorites can be found in the set.
- Yanai K., Kojima H., Haramura H. (1995): Catalog of Antarctic Meteorites. NIPR, Tokyo
- William A. Cassidy, Meteorites, Ice and Antarctica, Cambridge University Press (2003), ISBN 0-521-25872-3
- (Japanese) NIPR website
- (English) The homepage of the NIPR
- (English) The Antarctic expeditions
- Future Symposiums at the National Institute of Polar Research
- Antarctic Meteorite Research (journal)
- Polar Science (journal)
- Memoirs of National Institute of Polar Research
|This article related to government in Japan is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|