National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame
|Location||Saratoga Springs, New York, United States|
Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney,
Lewis A. Swyer
|Director||2014-2017 Raul Martinez|
The National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame, in the Saratoga Spa State Park, Saratoga Springs, New York, was established in 1986. It contains photographs, videos, artifacts, costumes, and biographies. The museum is located in the former Washington Bath House and was founded by Marylou Whitney. It is related to the Saratoga Performing Arts Center and also provides dance classes and master classes through the Lewis A. Swyer School for the Arts, which hosts the New York State Summer School of the Arts during July and August.
The National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame purposed a mission from its very foundation. It was "to cultivate, promote, foster, sponsor, and develop among its members and the community at large, the appreciation, understanding, taste, and love of the Musical Arts, especially the Dance; to create a National Hall of Fame for the advancement of such purposes; to secure the interest of the patrons of these Arts, and to promote and encourage the means for popular instruction and enjoyment thereof."
Mr. & Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney Hall of Fame
The Mr. & Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney Hall of Fame collection was provided to the Museum in 1987. The Hall of Fame annually inducts individuals from the dance world.
List of the inductees into the Mr. & Mrs. Cornelius Vanderbilt Whitney Hall of Fame of the National Museum of Dance (United States).
Fred Astaire (1899–1987)
George Balanchine (1904–1983)
Agnes de Mille (1905–1993)
Isadora Duncan (1877 or 1878?–1927)
Katherine Dunham (1909–2006)
Martha Graham (1894–1991)
Doris Humphrey (1895–1958)
Lincoln Kirstein (1907–1996)
Catherine Littlefield (1905–1951)
Bill "Bojangles" Robinson (1878–1949)
Ruth St. Denis (1877–1968)
Ted Shawn (1891–1972)
Charles Weidman (1901–1975)
Jerome Robbins (1918–1998)
Alvin Ailey (1931–1989)
Merce Cunningham (1919–2009)
Bronislava Nijinska (1891–1972)
Paul Taylor (1930–2018)
José Limón (1908–1972)
Anna Sokolow (1910–2000)
Barbara Karinska (1886–1983)
Arthur Mitchell (1934–2018)
Robert Joffrey (1930–1988)
Trisha Brown (1936–2017)
Alwin Nikolais (1910–1993)
Nicholas Brothers (1914–2006 & 1921–2000)
Léonide Massine (1896–1979)
Edwin Denby (1903–1983)
Igor Stravinsky (1882–1971)
Arthur and Kathryn Murray
The New Dance Group 1932
Bob Fosse (1927–1987)
Bill T. Jones (1952–)
Peter Martins (1946–)
Tommy Tune (1939–)
Marge Champion (1919–)
Suzanne Farrell (1945–)
Edward Villella (1936–)
Frankie Manning (1914–2009)
Michael Jackson (1958–2009)
Lewis A. Swyer (1918–1988)
Marylou Whitney (1925–2019)
- "Board of Directors". National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame. Retrieved on December 19, 2016.
- NYTimes Travel Guide for Saratoga Springs
- "National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame | Saratoga Springs, NY 12866 | New York Path Through History". Path Through History. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "The National Museum of Dance". Saratoga Springs Heritage Area Visitor Center. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- The National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame : celebrating 30 years (PDF). August 2017. p. 11. ISBN 978-1-4384-6745-0. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "The National Museum of Dance and Hall of Fame". Hudson River Valley Institute. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Mark Morris and Rudolf Nureyev: Hall of Fame Inductees at National Museum of Dance". Great Performances. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "National Museum of Dance Announces 2018 Hall of Fame Inductees". The Daily Planet Arthur. March 23, 2018. Retrieved May 4, 2019.
- "Dance Hall of Fame". The National Museum of Dance. Retrieved May 3, 2019.