National Skill Development Corporation
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Manish Kumar (MD & CEO) |
Jayant Krishna (ED & COO)
The National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) is an Indian not-for-profit company set up to address the need for providing skilled manpower across various industry sectors. It was founded in 2009 by the Ministry of Finance, and is currently under the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship, Government of India.
The NSDC was set up as a Public Private Partnership Company in order to create and fund vocational training institutions, and create support systems for skills development.
In light of the introduction of the Goods and Services Tax in 2017, NSDC and the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) collaborated to train over 100,000 people as GST experts to help the corporate sector with accounts work. The NDSC has trained more than 5.2 million students, and it has also created 235 private sector partnerships and 38 Sector Skill Councils (SSC) in various industries.
Projects and collaborations
It is estimated that by 2022 India will need an additional 104 million people in the workforce with a further 298 million requiring upgrade in training. To address this NSDC has started skill development initiatives in North East India, with a target of training 240,000 people in 2017-18.
NSDC has also partnered with Amazon’s "meri saheli" initiative to improve the digital literacy of women. Together with Google India, it has launched a program to train people on mobile development, via a 100-hour course to be delivered though partner agencies.
NSDC also signed a collaboration with the Indian Institute of Corporate Affairs to train people within CSR, corporate governance, business innovation, e-governance and other skills. Other partners include the Adani Foundation, Uber and Maruti.
- "PIB Press Release". Retrieved 14 February 2018.
- "About us". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship". Retrieved 16 December 2017.
- "NSDC to train over 1 lakh people as GST Account Assistants". 16 December 2017.
- "National Skill Development Mission". 26 December 2017.
- Press Trust of India (1 December 2017). "NSDC Sharpens Focus On North-East; Skill Development Initiatives Get A Boost". NDTV. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Google, NSDC Launch Android Skill Development Programme to Improve Mobile Developer Ecosystem". 26 December 2017.
- "IICA, NSDC To Forge Collaboration On Skills And CSR". 26 December 2017.
- "Adani Group, Skill Development Body Sign Pact To Train 300,000 Youth". 26 December 2017.
- "Come Join Uber, CEO Kalanick Urges Indian Ex-Servicemen". 26 December 2017.