Taichung Municipal Taichung First Senior High School
|Type||Municipal senior high school|
|Location||Taichung City, Taiwan, Republic of China|
The Taichung municipal Taichung First Senior High School (TCFSH; Chinese: 臺中市立臺中第一高級中學, also 台中一中) is a senior high school in North District, Taichung, Taiwan. It is one of the most prestigious and distinguished high school in Taiwan. TCFSH was the first high school founded by Taiwanese to educate their youngsters during the colonial days under Japanese rule Japanese occupation.
The admission of Taichung First Senior High School is extremely competitive. Less than top 1% of scorers on the Basic Competence Test for Junior High School Students (國民中學學生基本學力測驗) receive admission. A large portion of graduates go on to attend prestigious universities in Taiwan as well as worldwide. For many international science and math competitions such as the International Mathematics Olympiad, the International Geography Olympiad, the International Physics Olympiad, the International Biology Olympiad, the Intel Science Fair, the International Chemistry Olympiad, the International Earth Science Olympiad, &c., students from Taichung First Senior High are usually chosen to represent Taiwan.
The National Taichung First High School was founded by elite members of gentry in Taichung in 1915, including Lin Lie-tang (林烈堂), Lin Hsien-tang (林獻堂), Lin Hsiung-chen (林熊徵), Tsai Lien-fang (蔡蓮舫) and Koo Hsien-jung (辜顯榮). Fought against the unfair education policy of Japanese colonial government, they established the Taichung Middle School to provide better education to the young Taiwanese who did not have the opportunity to attend middle schools which were reserved for the Japanese children exclusively.
- In 1921, the school was transferred to the Taichung County government and the name was changed to Taichung County Taichung Middle School. It was the only school which was established exclusively for Taiwanese student when Taiwan was under Japan's rule.
- In 1945, Taiwan was returned to the Republic of China after the World War II and the school was renamed "Taiwan Provincial First High School"
- In 1948, The school was elected as one of the 39 best high schools in China. The only other high scholl in Taiwan that received this honor was the Taipei First Girl's High School.
- In 1954, a satellite campus was established in Fengyuan City.
- In 1987, the science and mathematic class for gifted students was formed.
- In 1996, the art class was formed. It was the first time that girls could be admitted to TCFSH.
- In 2000, the name was changed to National Taichung First High School.
- In 2003, the language gifted class was created. It provided an alternative choice for many talented female students. Some first-tier female students who were qualified for the Taichung Girls High School (the TCGS) chose to enroll at TCFSH instead of TCGS.
- In 2009, the science class was established.
- France CaenLycée Malherbe
- Japan Waseda University Honjo Senior High School
- Japan Kobe Municipal Fukiai High School
- Real Huang (阿沁)- A member of the famous band in Taiwan, F.I.R. He is a guitar player in the band.
- Lin Hwai-min (林懷民) - He is the founder of Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan.
- Hwan Shu-jun (黃舒駿) - A famous singer in Taiwan.
- Henry T. Yang (楊祖佑) - The chancellor of the University of California, Santa Barbara since 1994. A member of the National Academy of Engineering and a Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to National Taichung First Senior High School.|