Naturally (Selena Gomez & the Scene song)
|Single by Selena Gomez & the Scene|
|from the album Kiss & Tell|
|B-side||"Kiss & Tell"|
|Released||February 1, 2010
(see release history)
|Length||3:07 (radio edit)
3:22 (album version)
|Selena Gomez & the Scene singles chronology|
"Naturally" is a song performed by American band Selena Gomez & the Scene, taken from their debut studio album Kiss & Tell (2010). It was released by Hollywood Records as the album's second single in the United States and select other countries. The song was produced by Antonina Armato and Tim James who wrote the song with Devrim Karaoglu. Musically, "Naturally" is an uptempo pop song which relies on electropop and dance-pop styles. The song's lyrics speak of a relationship in which feelings are not forced and the protagonist sings of their happiness. The song officially impacted US mainstream radio on January 19, 2010, and was released physically in numerous European countries thereafter.
"Naturally" received generally positive reviews, with critics complementing its electro and club feel. The song reached the top ten in the United Kingdom, Slovakia, Hungary, and Ireland, and peaked in the top twenty in multiple other countries. As their first song to impact radio in the US, it reached number twenty-nine on the Billboard Hot 100, number twelve on the Pop Songs chart, and it topped the Hot Dance Club Play chart. It was later certified Platinum in the United States by the RIAA and in Canada by the CRIA. The song's accompanying music video sees Gomez sporting several different outfits and styles before a backdrop. Gomez & the Scene performed the song numerous times including on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve with Ryan Seacrest among other televised events and live performances. The song was ranked number eighty-four on About.com's list of "Top 100 Pop Songs of 2010".
Composition and lyrics
A sample of "Naturally", described by Gomez as "light" and "energetic".
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Naturally" is an electropop and dance-pop song which derives from the style of Hi-NRG while incorporating disco beats. Gomez described the song as "light", "energetic", and "poppy". The song is set in common time, and has an electro-pop tempo of 132 beats per minute. It is written in the key of B ♭ minor, and Gomez's vocals span from the low note of F3 to high note of F5. It follows the chord progression B♭m–G♭–A♭ According to Chris Ryan of MTV News the song is influenced by Kylie Minogue. According to CBBC, The song is lyrically about meeting someone who is comfortable in their own skin, as the protagonist singing how happy they are to be with them. The lyrics also state that everything in the relationship comes "Naturally". In an interview with Digital Spy, Gomez said that the song was about "two people who have a connection with each other so they don't really have to force the feelings - they're just there." Overall, she said the song was a great representation of the whole album.
Bill Lamb of About.com ranked the song amongst the top tracks on Kiss & Tell. Mikael Wood of Billboard gave the song a positive review, stating that it "has a juicy and instantly memorable vocal hook". In a review of the album, Robert Copsey of Digital Spy coined the song "electro-thumping", commenting that it was "as innocent as the purity ring on Gomez's finger and showcases her polished vocals perfectly." Copsey also stated that the impressive hooks present in the song do not appear on the album anywhere else. In a single review, Nick Levine also of Digital Spy said was the most Disney-affiliated single with club appeal since Miley Cyrus' "See You Again". When commenting on whether Gomez would be a mainstay in music, Levine said, "It's too soon to tell - but most Scando-popettes would dye their locks brunette for this tune." Although stating that it was very cliche, a writer for Popjustice said that the song "seems like a boundary-smashing avant garde curiosity when you put it alongside most other Hollywood Records output." Bill Lamb of About.com ranked "Naturally" at number eighty-four on his list of "Top 100 Pop Songs of 2010".
After debuting its first week at sixty-five on Billboard's US Hot Digital Songs, holiday sales for the single subsequently pushed the song to jump to thirty-four. These digital sales made the song the "Hot Shot Debut" on the Billboard Hot 100 at number thirty-nine for the issue dated January 9, 2010, eventually rising to twenty-nine on the Hot 100 and eighteen on the Canadian Hot 100. On the week labeled February 13, 2010, due to radio impact, the song debuted at forty on the US Pop Songs chart, and was the Hot Shot Debut at thirty-nine on the Hot Dance/Club Play Songs chart where it peaked at number one. The song was certified Platinum on July 15, 2010 in the United States by the Recording Industry Association of America for reaching a million in sales, and 4 times Platinum on July 23, 2014 for sales and streaming. As of August 2014, the single had sold 2,006,000 copies. It was also certified Platinum in Canada by the Canadian Recording Industry Association for sales of 80,000 units.
In the United Kingdom, "Naturally" entered and peaked on the UK Singles Chart at number seven, the first top ten single for a Disney Channel star since Hilary Duff with her 2005 single "Wake Up" which also charted at number seven. The song further charted in several European countries, appearing in the top ten of Ireland and Hungary, and elsewhere in charts in Austria, Germany, and Belgium, and Switzerland, among others. The chartings in European countries propelled the song to peak at nineteen on the European Hot 100.
The song's music video was filmed November 14, 2009, and premiered on Disney Channel following the December 11, 2009 airing of Phineas and Ferb Christmas Vacation. The special effects of the video are more complex than that of the band's first single, "Falling Down". Lead singer Gomez said, "The video is very different from any other video that I've done," and added, "it has a lot more fierce clothes and a lot of fun colors." Two alternate video versions were released for the Ralphi Rosario Remix and the Dave Audé Remix. The video features Gomez sporting different outfits and appearing on black, red, and pink backdrops with the band performing the song. The music video was directed by Chris Dooley. Chris Ryan of MTV News called Gomez a "dancing queen" and said that she "seems cool and confident throughout the video."
On November 25, 2016, the video has been removed from Gomez's Vevo account.
Credits and personnel
- Lead vocals: Selena Gomez
- Songwriters: Antonina Armato, Tim James, Devrím Karaoglu
- Production: Antonina Armato, Tim James, Devrím Karaoglu (co-production)
- Mixing: Tim James, Paul Palmer
Awards and nominations
|2011||Vevo Certified||100.000.000 Views||Music Video||Won|
Charts and certifications
|Canada (Music Canada)||Platinum||80,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||4× Platinum||2,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
Since May 9, 2013, RIAA certifications for digital singles include on-demand audio and/or video song streams in addition to downloads.
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Flanders)||53|
|Belgium (Ultratop 50 Wallonia)||70|
|Canada (Canadian Hot 100)||89|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||129|
|UK Singles Official Charts Company||160|
|US Billboard Hot 100||77|
|US Hot Dance Club Songs (Billboard)||27|
|United States||February 1, 2010||Digital download||Disco Fries remix|
|Australia||February 2, 2010|
|Belgium||February 26, 2010||Radio edit|
|March 19, 2010||EP|
|March 19, 2010||Album version/B-side|
|Ireland||April 8, 2010
|April 8, 2010||EP|
|United Kingdom||April 8, 2010||Album version|
|Germany||April 9, 2010||CD single||Radio edit|
- Ryan, Chris (2010-03-18). "Selena Gomez's 'Naturally (Remix)' Video vs. The Original!". MTV News. MTV Networks (Viacom). Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Martin, Lara. "Selena Gomez". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- "Selena Gomez - Naturally Sheet Music". Musicnotes.com. Alfred Publishing.
- "Single review: Selena Gomez - Naturally". CBBC. 2010-04-16. Retrieved 2010-11-26.
- Lamb, Bill. "Selena Gomez and the Scene - Kiss and Tell". About.com. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Wood, Mikael (2009-09-25). "Selena Gomez & the Scene, "Kiss & Tell"". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Copsey, Robert (2010-04-19). "Selena Gomez & The Scene: 'Kiss & Tell'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-11-12.
- Levine, Nick (2010-04-12). "Selena Gomez & The Scene: 'Naturally'". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- "Popjustice - Selena Gomez & The Scene - 'Naturally'". Popjustice. Retrieved 2010-11-22.
- Lamb, Bill. "Top 100 Pop Songs of 2010 - List of the 100 Best Songs of the Year". About.com. The New York Times Company. Retrieved 2010-12-31.
- "Ke$ha Controls Hot 100 Summit For A Second Week". Billboard. 2009-12-31. Retrieved 2009-12-31.
- "Naturally - Selena Gomez & the Scene". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "American album certifications – Selena Gomez – Naturally". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH
- Trust, Gary (August 19, 2014). "Ask Billboard: Iggy Azalea, Ariana Grande, Sam Smith & Charli XCX Are Seeing Double". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media.
- "Gold & Platinum certifications". Canadian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2010-08-16.
- "ARIA Top 50 Singles Chart 2010-02-01". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- "RIANZ – Selena Gomez & the Scene – Naturally". aCharts.com. Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved March 26, 2010.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company.
- "Swisscharts.com – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" European Hot 100 for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- Vena, Jocelyn (2009-11-23). "Selena Gomez Gets Fierce and Fun For 'Naturally' Video". MTV News. MTV Networks (Viacom). Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "Naturally (The Remixes) - EP". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- "Naturally - Single". iTunes Store United Kingdom. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally - EP". iTunes Store United Kingdom. Apple Inc. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally (2-Track): Selena & the Scene Gomez: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Amazon Inc. Retrieved 2010-12-17.
- Gomez, Selena (2009). Kiss & Tell (Liner Notes) (Compact Disc). Selena Gomez & the Scene. Hollywood Records.
- "Australian-charts.com – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Austriancharts.at – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201024 into search.
- "Musicline.de – Selena Gomez & The Scene Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Single (track) Top 40 lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Chart Track: Week 15, 2010". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Charts.org.nz – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". Top 40 Singles.
- "Archive Chart: 2010-04-24.". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201019 into search.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally" Canciones Top 50.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". Singles Top 100.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- Billboard http://www.billboard.com/charts/hot-dance-airplay/2010-05-29. Retrieved May 28, 2016. Missing or empty
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Billboard Digital Songs for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- Billboard http://www.billboard.com/charts/heatseekers-songs/2010-01-02. Retrieved May 28, 2016. Missing or empty
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Billboard Radio Songs for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- "Selena Gomez & The Scene – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Selena Gomez & The Scene.
- "Canadian single certifications – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". Music Canada.
- "American single certifications – Selena Gomez & The Scene – Naturally". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH
- "RIAA Adds Digital Streams To Historic Gold & Platinum Awards". Recording Industry Association of America. May 9, 2013. Retrieved May 9, 2013.
- "Jaaroverzichten 2010 - Singles". ultratop.be (in Dutch). ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Rapports annuels 2010 - Singles". ultratop.be (in French). ULTRATOP & Hung Medien / hitparade.ch. Retrieved 2010-12-26.
- "Charts Year End: Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. Retrieved 2010-05-02.
- "Top 200 des Jahres 2010". Chartsurfer.de (in German). Chartsurfer. Retrieved 2015-04-09.
- Top 100 Music Hits, Top 100 Music Charts, Top 100 Songs & The Hot 100 | Billboard.com, Billboard.com. 2010-12-12.
- "Naturally (Disco Fries Remix)". iTunes Store United States. Apple Inc. 2010-02-01. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally (Disco Fries Remix)". iTunes Store Australia. Apple Inc. 2010-02-02. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally (Radio Edit)". iTunes Store Belgium. Apple Inc. 2010-02-26. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally - EP". iTunes Store Belgium. Apple Inc. 2010-03-19. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally - Single". iTunes Store Belgium. Apple Inc. 2010-03-19. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally (Radio Edit)". iTunes Store Ireland. Apple Inc. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
- "Naturally - EP". iTunes Store Ireland. Apple Inc. 2010-04-08. Retrieved 2010-08-17.
"Louboutins" by Jennifer Lopez
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs
April 10, 2010
"Give Me Something" by Ono
"Heartbreak on Vinyl" by Blake Lewis
|U.S. Billboard Hot Dance Airplay
May 29, 2010
"Stereo Love" by Edward Maya & Vika Jigulina