Neil Halstead performing at The Faversham, Leeds on 22 September 2008.
7 October 1970 |
Reading, Berkshire, England
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, shoegazing, dream pop, folk|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Associated acts||Slowdive, Mojave 3, Black Hearted Brother|
Neil Halstead (born 7 October 1970) is an English musician born in Reading, Berkshire, England. He has been hailed by AllMusic as “one of Britain’s most respected songwriters,” and Timeout magazine as “one of Britain's greatest songwriters”. The singer/guitarist served as frontman and primary songwriter for Slowdive (the legendary shoegaze outfit whose seminal studio albums include 1993’s Souvlaki, co-produced by Brian Eno). After its 1995 breakup, Slowdive morphed into the Halstead-helmed Mojave 3 and released a string of highly celebrated records that merged jangly alt-country with dusky psychedelic dream-pop. In 2006 Mojave 3 went on indefinite hiatus, prompting Halstead to embark on an acoustic-driven solo career marked by an emphasis on British-folk-inspired melody and a love of surfing . An occasional drift into more whimsical territory prompted NME to rave 'like Syd Barrett if he’d ever set foot on a surf board'. Halstead's first solo album Sleeping on Roads was followed by 2008’s Oh! Mighty Engine, released on friend and fellow surfer Jack Johnson‘s ''Brushfire'' label. Halstead's latest album Palindrome Hunches was released in 2012 and was labelled as “An exquisite set of dark folk music” from The Times as well as being well acclaimed by God is in the TV, "Undoubtedly one of the finest British records released this year.” 
Halstead has spent much of 2014 touring with the newly reformed Slowdive.
|Sleeping on Roads|
|Studio album by Neil Halstead|
- Sleeping on Roads (2002, 4AD)
- Oh! Mighty Engine (2008, Brushfire)
- Oh! Mighty Engine
- Little Twig
- Witless or Wise
- Paint A Face
- Always The Good
- No Mercy For The Muse
- Sometimes The Wheels
- Queen Bee
- Spinning For Spoonie
- A Gentle Heart
- Baby, I Grew You A Beard
- Palindrome Hunches (2012, Brushfire)
- Digging Shelters
- Bad Drugs and Minor Chords
- Wittgenstein's Arm
- Spin The Bottle
- Tied To You
- Love Is a Beast
- Palindrome Hunches
- Full Moon Rising
- Hey Daydreamer
- Loose Change
- Alcest's Shelter (song 7 - Away)
A detailed gear diagram of Neil Halstead's 1993 Slowdive guitar rig is well-documented.
- God Is In The TV
- Sleeping on Roads - Neil Halstead, AllMusic. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Duration: 48:20"
- Neil Halstead: Sleeping on Roads, Amazon.com. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Label: 4AD; Copyright: 2002 4AD Ltd; Length: 48:19"
- iTunes - Music - Sleeping on Roads by Neil Halstead. "Released: Jul 01, 2001; ℗ 2001 4AD; Length: 48:19"
- Cooper, Adam (25 April 1999). "Neil Halstead's 1993 Slowdive Guitar Rig". GuitarGeek.Com.