Neil Halstead performing at The Faversham, Leeds on 22 September 2008.
7 October 1970 |
Reading, Berkshire, England
|Genres||Alternative rock, indie rock, shoegazing, dream pop, folk|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, singer-songwriter, record producer|
|Associated acts||The Pumpkin Fairies, Slowdive, Zurich, Mojave 3, Black Hearted Brother|
Neil Halstead (born 7 October 1970) is an English musician born in Reading, Berkshire, England. He has been hailed by AllMusic as “one of Britain's most respected songwriters", and Time Out as "one of Britain's greatest songwriters".
Halstead is a singer/guitarist and served as frontman and primary songwriter for the shoegazing band Slowdive, formed in 1989 out of his first band, the Pumpkin Fairies. Slowdive released the albums Just for a Day (1991), Souvlaki (1993), Pygmalion (1995) and Slowdive (2017).
In 2006, Mojave 3 went on indefinite hiatus, prompting Halstead to embark on an acoustic-driven solo career marked by an emphasis on British folk-inspired melody and a love of surfing. An occasional drift into more whimsical territory prompted NME to describe Halstead as "like Syd Barrett if he’d ever set foot on a surf board". Halstead's first solo album, Sleeping on Roads, was released in 2002, followed by Oh! Mighty Engine (2008), released on friend and fellow surfer Jack Johnson's Brushfire Records label. Halstead's third solo album, Palindrome Hunches, was released in 2012; it was described as "an exquisite set of dark folk music" by The Times, while God Is In The TV called it "undoubtedly one of the finest British records released this year".
- Sleeping on Roads (2002, 4AD)
- Oh! Mighty Engine (2008, Brushfire)
- Palindrome Hunches (2012, Brushfire)
- "Away" – Shelter by Alcest (2014, Prophecy Productions)
- "Lonely Heart Reverb", "Cloudy Heart" and "Lover" – Cross the Verge by Joana Serrat (2016, Loose)
- Sleeping on Roads - Neil Halstead, AllMusic. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Duration: 48:20"
- Neil Halstead: Sleeping on Roads, Amazon.com. "Release Date: January 28, 2002; Label: 4AD; Copyright: 2002 4AD Ltd; Length: 48:19"
- iTunes - Music - Sleeping on Roads by Neil Halstead. "Released: Jul 01, 2001; ℗ 2001 4AD; Length: 48:19"
- God Is In The TV
- http://www.slowdiveofficial.com slowdiveofficial.com