|• Mayor||Hermann Lenarz|
|• Total||4.45 km2 (1.72 sq mi)|
|Elevation||430 m (1,410 ft)|
|• Density||54/km2 (140/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)|
Nerdlen is an Ortsgemeinde – a municipality belonging to a Verbandsgemeinde, a kind of collective municipality – in the Vulkaneifel district in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany. It belongs to the Verbandsgemeinde of Daun, whose seat is in the like-named town.
The municipality lies in the Vulkaneifel, a part of the Eifel known for its volcanic history, geographical and geological features, and even ongoing activity today, including gases that sometimes well up from the earth.
About 1000, Nerdlen had its first documentary mention.
The council is made up of 6 council members, who were elected at the municipal election held on 7 June 2009, and the honorary mayor as chairman.
Nerdlen’s mayor is Hermann Lenarz, and his deputies are Albert Hens and Wolfgang Maas.
Coat of arms
The German blazon reads: Von Silber über Rot geteilt, oben ein grüner Erlenzweig mit drei Blättern, unten ein halbes silbernes Rad.
The alder sprig is a canting charge, suggesting the municipality’s name, which is indeed derived from the German word for “alder”. As mentioned above, the name is a corruption of the phrase Zu den Erlen. The half-wheel below the line of partition is – in its whole form – Saint Catherine’s attribute, thus representing the chapel’s patron saint.
Culture and sightseeing
- Catholic branch church, An der Hohl 2, biaxial aisleless church, late 19th century or about 1900.
- Hauptstraße/corner of An der Hohl – warriors’ memorial, 1914-1918.
- "Bevölkerungsstand 2018 - Gemeindeebene". Statistisches Landesamt Rheinland-Pfalz (in German). 2019.
- Nerdlen’s location
- Nerdlen’s council
- Description and explanation of Nerdlen’s arms
- Directory of Cultural Monuments in Vulkaneifel district
- Municipality’s official webpage (in German)