New Afrika Shrine
The New Afrika Shrine is an open air entertainment centre located in Ikeja, Lagos State. It serves as the host location of the annual Felabration music festival. Currently managed by Femi Kuti (eldest son of Fela Kuti) and Yeni Anikulapo-Kuti, it is the replacement of the old Afrika Shrine created in 1970 by Fela Kuti until it was burnt down in 1977. The New Afrika Shrine showcases photo galleries of Fela and music performances by Femi Kuti and Seun Kuti thus making it a tourist attraction.
Only July 3, 2018, French President Emmanuel Macron visited the Shrine and pre-launched the Season of African Cultures 2020 in France. Macron said he had visited the Shrine as a student in 2002.
- Funke, Arogundade (12 October 2015). "Sandra Iszadore, Fashola, Ajibade, others speak at Felabration". P.M. News. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Howden, Daniel (5 June 2009). "Still struggling –Fela Kuti's family fights on". The Independent. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Felabration: Reflections on Human Rights, Others". The News (Nigeria). 14 October 2015. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- Phillips, Barnaby (13 October 2000). "Revival of Fela Kuti's 'shrine'". BBC News. Lagos. Retrieved 15 October 2015.
- "Macron loue la créativité africaine dans une salle de concert de Lagos". Le Figaro. July 3, 2018. Retrieved July 4, 2018.
|This Lagos–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|