Newbridge on Wye railway station
|Newbridge on Wye|
|Place||Newbridge on Wye|
|Original company||Mid Wales|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|21 September 1864||Opened.|
|31 December 1962||Closed.|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Newbridge on Wye railway station stood on the single-tracked Mid Wales Railway between Builth Wells and Rhayader. It was closed on 31 December 1962 and the trackbed removed. The site has been cleared and now contains senior citizens' housing. An overbridge which formed the entry point to the station from the south is still in place.
Newbridge on Wye railway station was opened by the Mid Wales Railway on 21 September 1864. The Mid Wales Railway got into financial difficulties and a working arrangement was made with the Cambrian Railways on 2 April 1888; who took over the line on 24 June 1904. The line later became part of the Great Western Railway.
The single-tracked Mid Wales Railway line was linked to the London and North Western Railway (LNWR)'s Central Wales line, in the direction of Cilmeri, north of Builth Road Low Level Station, by means of a junction owned by the LNWR.
- Awdry, pages 20–21.
- Butt, page 168
- Dewick, page 14.
- Awdry, page 34.
- Pre-grouping Railway Junction Diagrams, page 85.
- Awdry, Christopher (1990). Encyclopaedia of British Railway Companies. Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0049-7. OCLC 19514063.
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Dewick, Tony (2005). Britain's Railways: Rail Atlas 1890 (1st ed.). Hersham: Ian Allan Publishing Ltd. ISBN 0-7110-3031-6. OCLC 58554883.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Railway Clearing House. Pre-grouping Railway Junction Diagrams, 1914. London: Ian Allan. ISBN 0-7110-1256-3.
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2007). Brecon to Newtown. West Sussex: Middleton Press. figs. 64-68. ISBN 9781906008062. OCLC 288983659.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Doldowlod||Mid Wales Railway||Builth Road
Low Level Station
|London and North Western Railway
Central Wales Railway
|Cilmeri railway station
(Line open, Station open)