Niamtougou International Airport

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Niamtougou International Airport
Summary
Airport type Joint (Civil and Military)
Serves Niamtougou
Location  Togo
Elevation AMSL 1,515 ft / 462 m
Coordinates 9°46′10.66″N 1°05′34.01″E / 9.7696278°N 1.0927806°E / 9.7696278; 1.0927806Coordinates: 9°46′10.66″N 1°05′34.01″E / 9.7696278°N 1.0927806°E / 9.7696278; 1.0927806
Map
LRL is located in Togo
LRL
LRL
Location within Togo
Runways
Direction Length Surface
ft m
03/21 8,202 2,500 Concrete
Source:World Aero Data[1]

Niamtougou International Airport (IATA: LRLICAO: DXNG) is an airport serving the north of Togo near Niamtougou. It is an international airport and Togo's second largest after Lomé-Tokoin Airport. Opened in 1981,[2] it has a 2500m runway, accessible to DC 10-30 planes and parking for 4 planes.[3]

The airport is located in Baga, 4 km (2.5 mi) north of Niamtougou. It is primarily used by the Togolese Air Force and by civilian government airplanes, and only occasionally by chartered and private flights. Attempts have been made to schedule regular commercial flights to serve northern Togo, such as Air Burkina OuagadougouNiamtougouLomé round-trip flights, but to date these flights have not proved to be commercially viable.

Redevelopment[edit]

Redevelopment of the airport began in April 2016 to bring it up to IACO standards. [4] The project involves lengthening the runway by 500 meters and resurfacing it, incorporating a turning area, renovating the departure lounge, and building a perimeter wall. The project, which has a budget of 32,640 billion fcfa, is being jointly financed with a loan covering 85% of the budget from the China Exim Bank and the remaining 15% by the Togolese Government. The project is expected to take 12 months, and is being carried out by the China Airport Construction Group Corporation.[5][6] The inauguration of the redeveloped airport is scheduled for 25 April 2017. [7]

It is hoped that the redevelopment will facilitate tourism in the north of Togo, pilgrimage to Mecca, and freight. Also, thanks to its central location between other regional airports (Cotonou, Lomé, Accra, Abidjan, Ouagadougou, Niamey), Niamtougou International Airport has the potential for serving as a hub for several flight companies in the region.[8][9]

References[edit]