Nibiru Sociedad Astronomica
Nibiru-Astronomical Society (Spanish: Sociedad Astronomica) is a non - profit academic and student astronomical society created at the Faculty of Sciences (UNAM) of the National Autonomous University of Mexico in 2001.
The goal of the Society is to create a channel linking students studying physics at the Faculty with astronomers at the Institute of Astronomy (UNAM). This is achieved through year - round semestral astronomy related activities such as conferences, courses, movie debates, planetary observations through telescopes and outings focused on archeoastronomy.
On March 24, 2009, Nibiru opened up a new astronomical society at the Metropolitan Autonomous University in Azcapotzalco (Mexico City), known as Nibiru UAM. The UAM served as a hub for student-academic astronomical activities at the north of the city until April 2010. A new astronomical society derived from the pilot program, as intended.
It has performed several important observations on astronomical phenomena, such as solar & lunar eclipses and has been noted on several national newspapers and television stations for its activities. It has also toured several faculties at the University, creating awareness on astronomy and light pollution through telescope observations of Jupiter, Saturn, Mars and the Orion Nebula.
In 2009, it is assisted Mexican authorities on activities celebrating the International Year of Astronomy, becoming the astronomical society with the biggest number of events nationwide.
- Cosmowiki. "Nibiru - Sociedad Astronómica - Facultad de Ciencias - UNAM" (in Spanish). Cosmowiki.
- Milenio (May 12, 2010). "Abren espacio para Cinedebate científico en CU" (in Spanish). Periódico El Milenio.
- Reforma (April 6, 2005). "Oculta la Luna al Sol en eclipse híbrido" (in Spanish). Periódico Reforma.
- El Siglo de Durango (April 8, 2005). "Hoy, el eclipse híbrido" (pdf) (in Spanish). Periódico El Siglo de Durango.
- Periodico El Universal (July 18, 2004). "Van por la estrellas más lejana" (in Spanish). Periódico El Universal de México.
- Canal Once (April 5, 2005). "Nibiru celebra cuatro años de difundir la astronomía" (in Spanish). Canal Once, México.
- infoVet (April 14, 2008). "La Sociedad Astronómica "Nibiru", de visita en la FMVZ" (PDF) (in Spanish). infoVet.
- Gaceta de la Facultad de Medicina, UNAM (April 25, 2005). "¡Date un minuto para ver las estrellas!, todo un éxito en la Facultad de Medicina" (in Spanish). Gaceta de la Facultad de Medicina, UNAM.
- Reforma (March 10, 2008). "Inician en CU conferencias astronómicas" (pdf) (in Spanish). Periódico Reforma.